Is it just me being a miserable "B" ?

mark-joppa

Easter Sunday thought I would kill a bit time with my family and extended (Inlaws and a couple of nephews ) and support the local Country Fair at Dalkeith Country Park.My wife had checked there web page,all the usual - terrier racing,crafts etc etc,on a smaller scale to the big events.
Parked the two cars on the high street and short walk to entrance.

Four adults 40 quid and six kids 30 quid.70 before you even put your hand in your pocket for any of the stalls or rides.Sorry but in was about turn and back to the car.We were not the only parties who were about-turning.I understand there are costs to set up and manage events of this size but not just this fair but many others need to make it more atractive to families to have a day out.Its bad enough having your trousers taken down when you get in !!!!!!

Your thoughts

I went for a look as well with my wife £20 for 2 adults to walk around 8 stall's a small craft tent and a guess the weight off 2 lamb's to win tickets for another show stand! . 20 mins to look around it all. I did feel sorry for the stall holders though when they must have paid good money to be at looked what looked like a small village fete .:doh:

Bob

NOT MISERABLE, the cost of these events is just getting stupid. it will only change when people vote with their pockets though and refuse to pay. The deals to be had often are not that good food and drink if purchased there is a small fortune and so is the cost of rides etc for the kids. if you go to one of the game fairs without a real mission to buy goods that you know you want, and want to compare all the available options in one place then its a real luxury and very expensive day out !

I think this has been discussed on here before, but it would not be so bad paying a tenner to enter, if there really was a days worth of things to see or bargains to be picked up inside.

We have been going up to Scone Gamefair for years, and the days of getting bargains are finished. I don't blame the retailers there because the cost of a pitch now is ridiculous. My mate had a stall for a few years selling fishing flies, but feels he is better off just doing it on line now. I cannot remember exactly but it was something like £400 for a plot. Now the plots are so small that realistically you have to take 2. So, for him it worked out at £800, plus travel costs up and down for 3 days, or staying as an alternative. So as a small retailer he has to make something like £1000 in profit, not sales, just to break even.

You used to pick up good deals in the past but not now when the folk selling have to turn over that kind of dosh or it's costing them. These retailers are not doing it as a hobby and if they pull out there will be no Gamefair.

Dalkeith Country fair cannot justify charging that amount as there is simply not that much to see.

its £5 just to get into the park! you are only paying £5 to visit the fair, but fair enough if it was crap.
serves them right TBH, I nearly took a membership there as we take the kids down all Summer but they wanted £90 up front, it is now £50
£15 to release to children into the feral park for the day is a bargain! i do that over 3 times so it is worth it

We have held my son's birthday party there 3 years running, am on a mailing list but knew nothing of the Country Fair.......

Puplic events and attractions generally are a rip off nowadays, went to seaworld under the railway bridge at edinburgh with 3 out of five of my kids (one free) and it was £42 to get in which I thought was fine but then the only real cool bit was the under water tunnel, they had two seals outside so all in all after an hour and a half the kids were bored and wanted to go back in the car!

So we went to the National Museum in Edinburgh town centre which is free to get in and the kids loved it, there was so much to look at they were asking questions constantly about stuff and stayed really interested for hours. The kids loved all the stuffed animals and t-rex skeleton in particular but that was worth paying for although it was free!

I guess that's just the difference between organisations and enterprises trying to make money by being self funding and the likes of Edinburgh museum that is supported.

Agree entirely, try taking 5 kids out, cost a fortune. I now only attend the MGF, CLA priced itself out of excistence as far as i am concerned. If you take current fuel prices into account then its £150 before you start, so unless they sort out the ticket prices I am voting with my feet.

D

You really should have done a bit of field craft. Half three Sunday afternoon in for nowt as the paying hut had closed, a bit of a wander round (not much to see and certainly not worth a tenner to get in), a good blether at the SACS tent and home. Yip true miserable B.

I agree with all comments,Its about time these country fairs,took notice TOO EXPENSIVE for an entrance fee, For me personally,ts getting beyond it now...
My last visit was to the Midlands 2 years ago and that will be my last.

If I want to buy something, I can buy online much cheaper,

I love those types of events, esp. the Tweed Angling Fair, but the entrance fee's, parking, and cost of a nice aberdeen angus roll and a couple of beers for me and the Mrs is approaching £60, and that's before thinking of buying anything, or the cost of fuel to get there...sorry, but no thanks. Eoin, I'll watch you show off on youtube instead mate.

it is getting silly and i wonder just how some can aford to do it . i looked at taking my g/friend and 3 small children youngest 3 oldest 6 to Chester Zoo it was well over £100 to get in so i then looked at the several parks round hear Alton towers etc and it was the same, and again that is without eating or bits small children want ,
I just cant see how it can be justified.
Richard

I haven,t been to a country fair for yrs, nothing but a complete rip off, no bargains,very little to entertain you.

I went to one of these fairs a couple of years ago in south queensferry.

£20 for the missus and me to get in and the stalls consisted of a bunch of tinks selling crap quality clothing and a few stands where the tinks missus were selling cheap teeth rotting sugary delights all at vastly inflated prices.

I do not mind paying as long as I think I'm getting value for money one of my local fairs is £10 and we really enjoy it plenty of things to do for us and the dogs so we don't begrudge paying it it's on at the end of the month actually but would not be amused if it was 5 stalls and you could walk around it in five minuets....

I think you have a fair point (excuse the pun). These things are worth the money if there are plenty of stalls etc but for such a new event they should have been doing the entrance for just a couple of quid each until it has built up its reputation for being a decent sized event with a lot to see and do. You can't blame the organisers for trying to make money but the big picture is that it is my guess that next year they will struggle to attract more stalls and if word spreads it was a duff event this year then the whole event is doomed long term.....a bit like what happened to the gun show at ingliston!

Few years ago, me and the misses did visit a few shows a year, Great Yorkshire, Bramham Horse trials, Selby game fair etc. As mentioned in another post Selby was crap, not been since and speaking to mates it sounds like its got worse since!
Bramham was ok as she's into horse job and got some bargains not a bad day out, but seems to have got a little pricey, £40 odd quid last time with parking, not been for a couple of years.
GYS go every year, there's always more to see than we have time to see (wide range of interests) and by becoming members it works out cheaper. £72 for a joint membership gives entry for all three days, so in the main quite good value. Not as much in the way of shooting suppliers and the food has got a bit pricey (not a sandwhich for less than £3.50) and last year there didn't seem to be any bargains to be had.

I think this has been discussed on here before, but it would not be so bad paying a tenner to enter, if there really was a days worth of things to see or bargains to be picked up inside.

We have been going up to Scone Gamefair for years, and the days of getting bargains are finished. I don't blame the retailers there because the cost of a pitch now is ridiculous. My mate had a stall for a few years selling fishing flies, but feels he is better off just doing it on line now. I cannot remember exactly but it was something like £400 for a plot. Now the plots are so small that realistically you have to take 2. So, for him it worked out at £800, plus travel costs up and down for 3 days, or staying as an alternative. So as a small retailer he has to make something like £1000 in profit, not sales, just to break even.

You used to pick up good deals in the past but not now when the folk selling have to turn over that kind of dosh or it's costing them. These retailers are not doing it as a hobby and if they pull out there will be no Gamefair.

Dalkeith Country fair cannot justify charging that amount as there is simply not that much to see.
think u hit it on the head . The days of getting good deals are long gone cost of fuel and pitch fees

selling fishing flies on line ! good idea

Read the advertising leaflet for the Dalkeith Fair, didn't seem worth the time or effort to go, never mind the travel, entry, and inflated on site catering costs.

Back