Thread: 165 or 180

165 or 180

165g or 180g nosler partitions for the 30-06...will be buying in bulk so need to make a decision on either before having a chance to test. I know the 180 shoots ok, but never tried the 165.

will be used for reds and the occasional roe buck when the summer grass is at its tallest and thickest.

will potentially also be used for some plains game this summer or next.

just looking for one round per rifle, no p1ssing around with different rounds and re-zeroing, that's what variations and new rifles are for

I would say 180s. Yes, 165 is more than capable on our deer, but for plains game you will be better off with heavier bullets and the difference in trajectory at practical ranges is minimal.

I am interested in your outcome with the Nosler Partition, i use the Sierra gameking 165 in my 30-06 and it more than does the job on the reds.
    But i have been considering moving up to the 180 Nosler Partition in preparation for my Elk hunt.
    Quite an expensive bullet head though.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I am interested in your outcome with the Nosler Partition, i use the Sierra gameking 165 in my 30-06 and it more than does the job on the reds.
    But i have been considering moving up to the 180 Nosler Partition in preparation for my Elk hunt.
    Quite an expensive bullet head though.
    Cheers
    Richard
    not if you get them from cliffs gunsmithing in utah !

i do it all the time , thats where i get my bullets 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    i use the Sierra gameking 165 in my 30-06 and it more than does the job on the reds.
    What I use too and find them excellent.
    Last edited by Gandy; 11-04-2012 at 18:00.

The answer is "It depends"...

I've used a plethora of different bullets in my 30.06 and the conclusion I've come to is that a good, standard 180 grain bullet does 99% of what the calibre is capable of on game up to 300-400kgs on the hoof.

It is not a fast calibre and has been around for a very long time, the bullets available in 30 cal are similarly developed and it's hard to find a genuinely bad one.

There is a strong argument in favour of using any bullet of suitable construction that gives you the best accuracy and velocity in your rifle.

The above covers pretty much all of Europe in my opinion, with the possible exception of very large moose and brown bear.

For peace of mind on the very large critters and on an expensive trip away, if a premium bullet gives you the accuracy you want and a warm fuzzy feeling, why not?

I take this approach myself using a Hornady 180 grain BTSP at home ( the boat tail is "softer" than the flatbase IME) and Barnes 168gr TSX, the Nosler 180 grain Partition and the 200 grain Accubond away.

To be totally honest I find their performance to be much of a muchness to be honest. Due to difficulty getting the TSX load ready for Africa in 2010 I ended up taking the Hornady 180gr BTSP's and the did fine on PG up to Blue wildebeest size. They did lack a little penetration on steeply quartering shots but for normal shot placement this isn't an issue and the load was formidably accurate.

I now use either a 180 grain partition or 200 grain accubond for heavy game and find them indistinguishable on game up to moose size. I wil be testing their limits, and perhaps that of the cartridge, on camels and brown bear this year, perhaps that will show up some differences.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    not if you get them from cliffs gunsmithing in utah !

i do it all the time , thats where i get my bullets 90% of the time
    Yep, i have his site book marked.
    Cheers
    Richard

For UK use the 165 will have enough clout to deck anything. Abroad you could argue for heavier bullets on big beasts. The lighter ones will fly faster/flater if that's what you want. Lighter bullets will give you less recoil. Then you have to decide which bullet gives the best terminal affect at the range and velocity you choose.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    165g or 180g nosler partitions for the 30-06...will be buying in bulk so need to make a decision on either before having a chance to test. I know the 180 shoots ok, but never tried the 165.

will be used for reds and the occasional roe buck when the summer grass is at its tallest and thickest.

will potentially also be used for some plains game this summer or next.

just looking for one round per rifle, no p1ssing around with different rounds and re-zeroing, that's what variations and new rifles are for
    have you considered Lapua Mega 150-165-180 !!! A very good stalker mate shoot a .30-06 with 150 Mega shooting everything from Muntjac to very BIG Red Wild Boar Reindeer and Moose and has done for years oh and they are roughly half the price of Partition of which if i could afford to use Patrtition are my no 1 projectile