Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip Scoring

Hip Scoring

I am looking to get my BMH bitch hip scored.

Can anyone enlighten me on the going rate for such a procedure?

Looking to try and gauge an average price before going to the vet to see if what they are charging is the norm. She reckons 300

Cheers

She is corect david then you need to get the certificate its 46 pound i am told but you can cut your vet out and just go straight to the vet collage in glasgow and get it done for 264.72 p

Whoaaaaa!!!!!
    Shop about!
    Last year my vet charged me 160 for hip scores,this year one of my dogs pups had same vet price for hip score,same vet remember 240
    Vet 5 miles from aforementioned one 180,then a vet 10 miles away was 140
    Definitely phone around for hip scores,15 is breed average I believe,same as labs

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

The cost for the score itself is 50 then whatever your vets charge for a general anaesthetic and an xray. Two of our dogs were done last year and cost ~ 250 each ...but weight wise they are just over the 20kg mark which pushed the anaesthetic fee up slightly.

The breed average with the BVA is 10, but the breeding guidelines for the BMHS are 15 or below.

To date the highest has been 20 and the lowest has been 3

Latest breed mean score across the various breeds
    http://www.bva.co.uk/public/document...stics_2012.pdf

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by munstisue View Post
    The cost for the score itself is 50 then whatever your vets charge for a general anaesthetic and an xray. Two of our dogs were done last year and cost ~ 250 each ...but weight wise they are just over the 20kg mark which pushed the anaesthetic fee up slightly.

The breed average with the BVA is 10, but the breeding guidelines for the BMHS are 15 or below.

To date the highest has been 20 and the lowest has been 3

Latest breed mean score across the various breeds
    http://www.bva.co.uk/public/document...stics_2012.pdf

Hope this helps
    See labs are now 14 not 15 as well,interesting with the BMH being 10 and the BMHS UK are anything under 15
    My lab weighed 35kg,no fat just big built and cost was 160
    Last edited by Wolverine; 11-04-2012 at 21:49.

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by munstisue View Post
    Where do you get 15 from? You are not supposed to breed the dog if scores over BMS, and ideally (in the BVA's words) ideally, breeders should choose
    breeding stock with hip scores WELL BELOW the Breed Mean Score (BMS) and ideally below the Median for their breed.

If you hip score parents then breed from dogs with a higher score the hips will get WORSE as generations go on.

Like when you see dog sold as 'hip scored' could have been 102 and complete dysplasia but because you had the procedure done you can breed from the dog.....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

+1 with Apache,I insist on seeing certificates from bitches coming to see my dog and if buying in a pup insist on seeing both parents hip,elbow and eye certificates,especially with labs
    Apache the Bavarian society of UK state 15 or below ok to breed as muntisue has pointed out.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 11-04-2012 at 21:57.

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

If the BMH as a breed is to get rid of any faults then they must do the tests. Whats more any one buying a puppy should not buy from a none tested parents you could be buying a really disaster and also promoting these same problems in the breed. At this moment in BMH you only need to get the hips done that's been highlighted as a potential problem area. My bitch will be done in three months time i am told 16 - 18 months is best. If she is on the 15 or over the 15 there will be no dog near her simple and i will look else were for a puppy in the next few years. Please also remember if you buy a puppy to check to see if the breeder has any restrictions on it. If it has make sure you and the breeder can get them lifted easily should your dog make the grade work or show.

Two quotes so far and awaiting phonecall back about a third. The price varies quite a bit!

Quote one: Local vet 195.73
    Quote two: Dick Vet 364.04
    Quote three: Local vet Awaiting call back