harkila or river west

DJC

Advice please looking for some new gear .what do you wear harkila or river west ????????

looking for the best deal who sells hakkila in the lancashire area or do i go on the net ?????????????

Last edited:
Harkila jacket, trousers, and boots (pro hunter) fleece, and camo fleece. not a single negative on any of them. Rivers West I have looked at and seems just as good and a bit less expensive if you don't want to take out another mortgage.
Noah

I wear rivers west for wildfowling eider jacket it's the most waterproof jacket I've ever had or seen and it's been out in all weathers -10 snow storms gales driving rain the lot and I've never got wet have a look at this video It's a typical American video but shows you a bit more about the fabric,don't think you can beat the pro hunter clothing for stalking though it's got the right cut for walking long distances and also not to thick fabric to make you sweat like a beast, but I would not wear it for normal shooting or beating etc but I do the RW stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEyPcO8H2Z0

I usually destroy waterproof trousers in a few weeks, sometimes less than a week, I've had a pair of Harkila trousers that I bought as end of line items and this might be into their third year now, or maybe it is second? Can't remember but it is a long, long time when compared to everything else.

Harkila seem very "fashion" orientated in the sense that they seem to change their ranges every year or so. With that in mind you can often get last year's trendy thing from Harkila for the same money as some of the lesser offerings.

For jackets I wear a mil surplus windproof smock with the nikwax waterproofing washed into it, I've got and tried the other stuff but for most stalking I find it hard to beat and at £10 a pop the price is right as well.

harkila for me because i dont wanna look like all the rest or a tree,then i see most of you prefer harkila:doh:

Harkila. Rivers West is hard wearing but has NO breathability. OK for sitting in, but when walking hard in RW, you will get very wet on the INSIDE!!

I have both and would definitely say that the Harkila Pro Hunter range is a better product for deer stalking. Even with quality base layers the Rivers West just will not breath and gets very damp/sweaty inside. It also then needs to be turned inside out to dry properly which is a pain if you are trying to dry it quickly between outings as the outside is then still wet when you turn it back. Rivers west is ok if you just want to be warm and dry sitting in a high seat but just DONT MOVE !!!!

I have a Rivers West Jarrett jacket that I use for wildfowling as I don't mind having mud on it, and it folds down very small back into a rucksack when I'm reentering London. It's brilliant at keeping out the cold and wet, unfortunately is also keeps the wet in. After a mile or two of walking through mud carrying all my gear, I'm pretty damp inside it, which is unpleasant when you cool down. So they're primarily for sitting still, but not a great choice for anything active. I wear my Musto "technical tweed" coat for other forms of shooting and that's what I intend to wear for stalking. It's warm, waterproof, breathable, quiet and pretty insconspicuous. I just don't like getting that damned Kentish clay on it which never comes off, and it doesn't fold down easily.

Just adding to my earlier post. Like i said not tried the R.W.
but im in Harkila everyday Rain,snow, shine etc and my prefered method of hunting is stalking, we shot a big roe buck yesterday and i sacked him off the ground over a mile walk, I was very warm and sweaty but my pro-hunter had done its job and my undergarments were bone dry. Reaching the truck i soon took the coat off but never chilled in the nnw wind as i wasn't wet. Bloody great clothing and i have fleeces, windstoppers and even shirts which are all well cut smart and comfy.

Back