Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomtom sat. Navs. - epic fail - for those who own one.

Tomtom sat. Navs. - epic fail - for those who own one.

Check your TomTom satnav if you haven't used it in the last 12 days. Most of those sold 'recently' ... say the last 2-3 years will no longer work. NO GPS SIGNAL appears which effectively stuffs the unit. This appears to affect all models.

This is a hardware fault with global implications ..... see below. If you're thinking of buying one don't buy one from Halfords, Amazon, or whoever. This is a faulty chip in all current and past stock.

I've been unable to fix mine, so the remedy doesn't appear to work.

2000 posts of complaint worldwide so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17599701

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/New...al/td-p/188811
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

software update fixed mine

Had me worried there.
    I have a Tom Tom which I bought from Halfords 2 years ago and haven't used it in weeks. Just back in after digging it out and plugging it in and thankfully seems to be working fine.

Software fix didn't work on my via 120, I pursuaded Halfords to give a full refund and I am now looking to replace it with a smartphone, possibly iphone4s, finances permitting.atb Tim

I bought mine from Halfords six Months ago just checked it and it's working fine thankfully.

Mines working just downloaded upgrade
    gundog

Mine's a Start 20 too, Tim.

If the patch download had managed to complete the fix may well have worked, but it's a once-only transmission. If it's interrupted, or doesn't get applied (due to all sorts of technical problems .... firewall blocks too possibly?) the TomTom site sends a message that your unit is updated and all is well!

Well mine aint despite the cheery assurance, so something obviously went amiss. These SatNavs are pretty dumb and have no reboot.

Hey-ho. Back to Halfords for a little chat, and a Garmin or Navman replacement regardless. My old steam model TomTom One works fine, but is a bit chunky and missing a few motorways.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

There was a mandatory software update 11.037. Goto www.tomtom.com/386. Takes about 5 minutes to download.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Mine's a Start 20 too, Tim.

If the patch download had managed to complete the fix may well have worked, but it's a once-only transmission. If it's interrupted, or doesn't get applied (due to all sorts of technical problems .... firewall blocks too possibly?) the TomTom site sends a message that your unit is updated and all is well!

Well mine aint despite the cheery assurance, so something obviously went amiss. These SatNavs are pretty dumb and have no reboot.

Hey-ho. Back to Halfords for a little chat, and a Garmin or Navman replacement regardless. My old steam model TomTom One works fine, but is a bit chunky and missing a few motorways.
    You will find that it helps to get the refund authorised from customer services first, the shop would not have done the refund without it. Interesting to note about the download only working once, I too had the 99% download. I was only able confirm that there were problems with the fix from the BBC news site rather from TomTom customer support who wasted in excess of 4 hours of my time on something that they should have been aware didn't work!atb Tim

E mail them direct.
    I have to say that when mine failed during a download a few months ago that they were very helpful and professional!
    All sorted just as you would wish to be treated!