Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertising, through signatures etc.

Advertising, through signatures etc.

Dear one and all there is developing a trend for people to include in their signature, avatars etc advertising for 3rd parties. Now in the case of Zeiss or someone else who is a paying advertiser on here that is not a problem, however when non paying services, products or whatever are being advertised this is not on and will have to stop. So for those people that are carrying this type of extra advertising, irrespective of if they are a trade member or not, then they will have to remove the offending log's etc. If the people concerned do not remove them then they will be removed by admin, it is the paying trade members that pay for the upkeep and running of the site, and it is grossly unfair to them for us to allow others to benefit from their abiding by the rules of the site.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Not guilty of this but I have noticed it. Embedded links or recommendations .... such as gunsmithing, dog breeder ads., etc., come to mind.

For clarification, can ordinary/non-trade members always assume that the TRADE logo should accompany any post with the features you've mentioned?

What I'm asking is whether this rule is to be applied without exception .... or are there subtle variations, or degrees of advertising allowed?

I'm not familiar with all the sorts of advertising practices - implicit or explicit - so not intending to be difficult here.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Not guilty of this but I have noticed it. Embedded links or recommendations .... such as gunsmithing, dog breeder ads., etc., come to mind.

For clarification, can ordinary/non-trade members always assume that the TRADE logo should accompany any post with the features you've mentioned?

What I'm asking is whether this rule is to be applied without exception .... or are there subtle variations, or degrees of advertising allowed?

I'm not familiar with all the sorts of advertising practices - implicit or explicit - so not intending to be difficult here.

Yes. Although they should only be trading their own goods, and not someone elses. What we Admin/owners of the site John, Alex and myself are getting rather tired of is people taking the P///. We have had a number of people who have joined and placed an ad, or a link to their website. Or I am selling this for a friend or its not a commercial enterprise None of the three of us came down with the last shower of rain, and now it is a zero tolerence as far as I /we are concerned.

Yes. Although they should only be trading their own goods, and not someone elses. What we Admin/owners of the site John, Alex and myself are getting rather tired of is people taking the P///. We have had a number of people who have joined and placed an ad, or a link to their website. Or I am selling this for a friend or its not a commercial enterprise None of the three of us came down with the last shower of rain, and now it is a zero tolerence as far as I /we are concerned.
    Fair comment at least it puts everyone on a level playing field with no confusion.

That's clear. Bang-on. Bravo.

In that case I'm assuming that ordinary members who are aware of serial abusers ... err let me reword that .... 'traders' masquerading as something they're not ... can use the Report to Admin function to identify these?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I agree and i think it has taken a while to spot.

I had my signature deleted 2 or 3 years ago without warning because it apparently advertised something. I accepted the reasons when given this decision (through gritted teeth ), and am surprised it has taken so long to catch up with others.

Some on here are clearly selling stock from their shop or a mates shop ie trade ins and they are not registered as trade !

An unfortunate result stemming from the sites popularity & growing sucsess.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!