Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what threading

what threading

what threading size should I ask for on a rifle where I'm not quite sure which mod to buy? as in, what's the most universal threading for mods 1/2UNF seems to crop up a lot?

In basic terms, you want the biggest thread the barrel will take.

I was advised by a number of gunsmiths not to get 1/2 unf thread on calibres larger than the .22 centre fires as this is not strong enough and could cause problems.

1/2 unf is fine up to.270 in my experience but, .30cal or over 14 or 18x1 is better, I have 14x1 on my .300 and no complaints.
    Last edited by moses; 12-04-2012 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I was advised by a number of gunsmiths not to get 1/2 unf thread on calibres larger than the .22 centre fires as this is not strong enough and could cause problems.
    .25-06 and .300 Win-Mag both with 1/2 unf i dread to think how many round these rifles have fired with no thread or Moderator problems

Too small a thread can look stupid, regardless of the strength.

I'd also try and keep in the spirit of the rifles origins i.e. if it's metric, get a metric.
    Sako Sporting profile should be ok with a M14x1, bullbarrel M18x1.

as paddy said, as big as you can go, just stick to one of the normal thread sizes ie M14, 5/8 UNF etc and you wont struggle to find a mod with the correct thread. A good 'smith should recommend an appropriate thread size anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by jordang View Post
    as paddy said, as big as you can go, just stick to one of the normal thread sizes ie M14, 5/8 UNF etc and you wont struggle to find a mod with the correct thread. A good 'smith should recommend an appropriate thread size anyway.....
    That's right you don't need a shoulder for the Moderator to butt up against so just thread the outside diameter of the muzzle taking as little off as possible .

Sheesh I wonder how many times this has to be covered .

It also appears that imperial threads only go up to 1/2" according to some then they magically become metric . Ahhh what about 9/16" UNF or 5/8" UNF. I see quite a few mention the extra fine Unified in 1/2" well if you want a fine close fitting thread one could do a lot worse that look to the old British motor cyles industry and cycle industry as they developed a range of threads to resist undoing through vibration known as British Cycle threads which have a 26TPI pitch.

Tis a wonder the Proof house has not stuck it's oar in and got a thread specified to meet their demands.

sorry to have asked a question covered before, but I'm really new to the mod arena...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    sorry to have asked a question covered before, but I'm really new to the mod arena...
    The question will get repeated, and repeated, over time. It's the same silly answers that bug me.

The moderator needs a solid face to butt up against, spigots help too, actually the way we mount them is not really a good idea. However to make it much better would need a re-design of the rifle barrel. So we are stuck with a make do idea.

Oh yes bear in mind that with use mods do wear and errode.