what threading

User00003

what threading size should I ask for on a rifle where I'm not quite sure which mod to buy? as in, what's the most universal threading for mods 1/2UNF seems to crop up a lot?

I was advised by a number of gunsmiths not to get 1/2 unf thread on calibres larger than the .22 centre fires as this is not strong enough and could cause problems.

1/2 unf is fine up to.270 in my experience but, .30cal or over 14 or 18x1 is better, I have 14x1 on my .300 and no complaints.

Last edited:
I was advised by a number of gunsmiths not to get 1/2 unf thread on calibres larger than the .22 centre fires as this is not strong enough and could cause problems.

.25-06 and .300 Win-Mag both with 1/2 unf i dread to think how many round these rifles have fired with no thread or Moderator problems

Too small a thread can look stupid, regardless of the strength.

I'd also try and keep in the spirit of the rifles origins i.e. if it's metric, get a metric.
Sako Sporting profile should be ok with a M14x1, bullbarrel M18x1.

as paddy said, as big as you can go, just stick to one of the normal thread sizes ie M14, 5/8 UNF etc and you wont struggle to find a mod with the correct thread. A good 'smith should recommend an appropriate thread size anyway.....

as paddy said, as big as you can go, just stick to one of the normal thread sizes ie M14, 5/8 UNF etc and you wont struggle to find a mod with the correct thread. A good 'smith should recommend an appropriate thread size anyway.....

That's right you don't need a shoulder for the Moderator to butt up against so just thread the outside diameter of the muzzle taking as little off as possible :rolleyes:.

Sheesh I wonder how many times this has to be covered :banghead:.

It also appears that imperial threads only go up to 1/2" according to some then they magically become metric :rolleyes:. Ahhh what about 9/16" UNF or 5/8" UNF. I see quite a few mention the extra fine Unified in 1/2" well if you want a fine close fitting thread one could do a lot worse that look to the old British motor cyles industry and cycle industry as they developed a range of threads to resist undoing through vibration known as British Cycle threads which have a 26TPI pitch.

Tis a wonder the Proof house has not stuck it's oar in and got a thread specified to meet their demands.

sorry to have asked a question covered before, but I'm really new to the mod arena...:oops:

:p The question will get repeated, and repeated, over time. It's the same silly answers that bug me.

The moderator needs a solid face to butt up against, spigots help too, actually the way we mount them is not really a good idea. However to make it much better would need a re-design of the rifle barrel. So we are stuck with a make do idea.

Oh yes bear in mind that with use mods do wear and errode.

That's right you don't need a shoulder for the Moderator to butt up against so just thread the outside diameter of the muzzle taking as little off as possible :rolleyes:.

Sheesh I wonder how many times this has to be covered :banghead:.

I think you must have misunderstood my comment - when I said 'In basic terms, you want the biggest thread the barrel will take', being an engineer, I take it as read that this includes a decent location shoulder.

I think you must have misunderstood my comment - when I said 'In basic terms, you want the biggest thread the barrel will take', being an engineer, I take it as read that this includes a decent location shoulder.

Nope did not misunderstand I just read it as it was written ;).

Back