Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .222 for roe

.222 for roe

anyone shoot/shot .222 for roe and felt it was a decent choice for chest and neck shots? did you use HP or SP bullets? will normally be using .243 or larger, but if one was out for vermin with the treple two and came across a nice summer buck......you get my drift...

Yes great wee bullet Btip used and soft point hollow point the round with its big brother the .223 are certainly up to the job.

Have shot 20-30 Roe with a 222 all chest shots the only problem with 50gn bullets is if you hit a rib on the way in they make a bit of a mess.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Have shot 20-30 Roe with a 222 all chest shots the only problem with 50gn bullets is if you hit a rib on the way in they make a bit of a mess.
    222 no problem with roe deer shot placement is the key but with a 222 soft point or v max they dont get back up and bugger of neck chest/ shots will down them fast as will a head shot but not recomended for new shooters they are very acurate little guns dont shoot beyond your limits and the gun will fill the freezer

I have used a .222, with a 50grn SP for Roe in Scotland for a good while - in my experience (chest shots only) certainly up to the job. I am sure that it would perform on appropriate neck shoots if necessary.

Foxes really do not like either the 40 or 50grn ballistic tip or SP respectively. Here in the south the calibre is excellent for a 'woods' Muntjac/Fox rifle.

With a shorter barrel (dont know what my Tikka M595 is) light to carry and very 'shootable'.

you cant shoot roe in england with a .222 you need a .240 or bigger

Quote Originally Posted by chris thompson View Post
    you cant shoot roe in england with a .222 you need a .240 or bigger
    Thanks for that. We wouldn't have known.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I really fancy a 222 for woodland roe stalking, I did have a 223 which I wish now I had held onto . . . .the 25-06 is cracking on the hill and clear fell but a bit much at 50 yards in the trees.

i have shot a nice few roe in scotland with my 22250 55gr sierra gamekings.
    i have shot 2 munty and 1 roe with my .222magnum all very dead.
    if it were legal here i would personally use the triple for roe more often.
    i use it as my recon gun(a mini mannlicher half stock and small variable zeiss whole thing weighs about 5 1/2 lb) so when out assessing bucks can shoot rabbit-fox with it and any injured roe deer i might find hence 1 roe buck who was limping very badly.
    was very disapointed it wasn't made legal a few years ago

Hi All

I have used a 222 on and off for almost thirty seven years and have shot many roe in all that time . It is all about bullet placement as it is a very capable calibre and neck shots are particularly lethal in my own experiences. I think that the soft points such as Norma, Sellior & Bellot and Remington are better killers than the varmint rounds which fragment too easily and can be destructive with the venison.

Alan