Thread: Very first deer dog? Where do you start?

Very first deer dog? Where do you start?

So don't want to hijack any other threads so here goes, I'm a youngster starting to get into deer stalking most of my days are payed so I don't need a dog as of yet but in the near future will most likely need one and all these threads have really got me interested but where do you start? A total novice to dog training except as for a pet where do guys like us start? Which books videos or is it a case of getting a trainer to show me? All help great fully appreciated.

David.

choose a breed that suits your lifestyle ie large breed (lab) or small (teckel)

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    choose a breed that suits your lifestyle ie large breed (lab) or small (teckel)
    Do not buy a dog till you have some need for it otherwise it just get waisted but read all the books on this subject you can. There is a list elsewhere on this website.

Or you could go to any organised tracking days to see how it's done , talk to handlers , the person who may be teaching, but as said earlier wait watch and learn read every book you can before you buy. Do not get a dog until
    you are sure it is the right breed for you for your cicumstances.

Hi David,

You have started on the right foot by asking questions, on this site there are a few very knowlegable people, ( ABOUT 6 PEOPLE THAT I LISTEN TO) sorry i dont mean to offend anyone but have a look on a recent thread how many people on hear have a fully trained deer dog and you will know what i am talking about.

I started many years ago on a pheasant shoot and was appauled by people who had untrained dogs that was totally out of control and when asked why their dogs were so poor it was clear the OWNERS were untrainable. I come from an engineering backround so had to buy books ring up trainers and ask ask ask and very important ask the same question to a few people and you will learn. I bought a cocker pup and made her up to FTCH by asking and gaining experience. Maybe the hardest decission you have to make is the choice or breed and most of all selecting GOOD STOCK.

If you consider a triangle at the very apex you will have top quality stock very sort after by people that know what they want and wont except second best, the lower down the triangle you go the stock is readily availble you will continue to have a reasonable working dog but not top draw, at the bottom of the triangle its the RUBBISH people on this site happy with oh i just give him his head or having to say the same comand over and over again or i cant understand why he doesnt listen.

I can understand why the germans wont sell their stock that they have carefully selected over hundreds of years and i dont blame them

Good luck in your quest

Tony

Thanks guys orderd a few books so will wait on them coming and get reading.

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Thanks guys orderd a few books so will wait on them coming and get reading.
    If you could report back on the books I'd be very interested to hear which you think are worth reading and which are less helpful,

Cheers,
    Oli

Ask yourself a few pertinent questions as well before getting a dog.
    Do you have time to own,walk and train one,do you have sufficient space to keep one?Can you afford the upkeep of the dog,vet bills and feed etc
    Training a pet is one thing training a dog to deer is another.What type of dogs have you had in the past?Were they biddable pets or the kind that did as they pleased?
    Don't mean to put a dampner on you but be sure before getting a dog.
    If you can devote enough time to one there is all the help you'll need here or in books or if you know anyone close to you working dogs.ATB

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wolverine I understand what you are saying and at present work away from home too much so right now I dnt have the time but was asking as in the future I would love to train a dog but in the mean time would like to train myself so I am more confident if and when I do take on the massive responsibility of having a dog. If I ever need access to a deer dog I don't think I'd have a problem.but I know that taking a dog on ain't something to be taking lightly.

Oli still waiting on the books being delivers but will report what my very inexperienced view is of them.

Regards David

You're doing things rightIf I can help at all just shout

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports