Thoughts on tagging RTC deer

adjman

I've recently dragged a couple of carcasses off the roadside so they are out of sight of the public and notified the local authority to come and remove them. In both cases the local authority has actually been very prompt in doing so and letting me know they have been dealt with.

In one case a car pulled over to ask if I needed a hand and they asked about taking it home and eating it and I was able to explain that it was not a good idea as they the animal had not been observed prior to death and had not been taken by a legal killing method, therefore there was no way to know if it might be carrying disease. They went away better informed and I think quite happy with their new knowledge.

I was thinking of getting some "Not for human consumption" tags to carry in the car which could then be clipped onto such carcasses to try and dissuade Joe Public from popping the carcass in the car to take home and eat.

Just wanted to get the views of some of you guys to see if you do similar or if there is a sensible alternative?

It's natural selection, let them make themselves ill.

Keep in mind that a number of deer are put down by vets using lethal injection as few have access to firearms. Eating one of those won't do you any good. After they are put down they are dragged to the side of the road (ideally into some cover) and LA notified.

If you are stupid enough to eat what you find dead, god help you!

It's natural selection, let them make themselves ill.

Keep in mind that a number of deer are put down by vets using lethal injection as few have access to firearms. Eating one of those won't do you any good. After they are put down they are dragged to the side of the road (ideally into some cover) and LA notified.

If you are stupid enough to eat what you find dead, god help you!

Yes, the lethal injection thing is another factor. I do take your point though, Darwinian theory at work ;)

In our region, if vet is called to dispatch deer with lethal jab, remains are accompanied by either vet or police constable until removal by LA. IT is actually now illegal in Scotland to leave a 'posioned' carcass unattended.

Back