Thread: Screw cutting advice please!

Screw cutting advice please!

I have an IAF ( Indian arms Factory) made 30-06 which I would like to get screw cut for a moderator. It is modeled on the Sauer 202 but with an alloy bolt than a stainless steel bolt and cannot be taken down. My question is, is there a minimum thickness of the barrel that you need to screw cut it? Can you guys advice?

As a minimum you need .500" for the thread and some left to form the shoulder, so say minimum O/diameter of .570"
    No doubt thinner barrels have been threaded but it is at the risk of the moderator sitting out of square to the bore.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    I have an IAF ( Indian arms Factory) made 30-06 which I would like to get screw cut for a moderator. It is modeled on the Sauer 202 but with an alloy bolt than a stainless steel bolt and cannot be taken down. My question is, is there a minimum thickness of the barrel that you need to screw cut it? Can you guys advice?
    My god I didn't realise that these rip offs were beign exported from India.

May i suggest you do a web search and find the Indian and Pakistani gun forums.yes there are some and see what the locals thing of these. I just hope you are not too upset when you do.

let's just say that the Indians themselves and the Pakistani shooters are less than complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    My god I didn't realise that these rip offs were beign exported from India.

May i suggest you do a web search and find the Indian and Pakistani gun forums.yes there are some and see what the locals thing of these. I just hope you are not too upset when you do.

let's just say that the Indians themselves and the Pakistani shooters are less than complimentary.
    why do you say that they are less than complimentary mate?!!

I suggested you do the web search so you could find out. Frankly the locals say they are crap. Very poorly made.

One wonders how they get away with the blatant rip off of the 202.

If you look on the manufacturers web site, yes they have one, they alos still make a Lee Enfield bases sporting rifle in 8mm. Well it's a copy of the Old BSA 0315" bore and the cartridge is actually the old Austrain 8x50R round. The Military and government banned military calibres especially the 303 so to keep sporting arms in the Empire BSA came out with the .315 bore. Anyway back to Indian made "modern" rifles. They claim that the .315 bore rifle gives accuracy of 200mm at 200 meters. That's an 8" group at 200 meters. Perhaps now you see why the locals are not happy about them:-

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/5.htm

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data...wsc/add_30.htm

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data...tion/sc/14.htm

The second link is to your rifle and you'll note they didn't give an accuracy figure for that one. I did find their accuracy standards for their ammunition though that's the last link. You'll notice it's all pretty poor though.

Edit:- Taken from an Indian gun forum:-

Re: IOF 30-06 vs .315 rifle

by tobler69 Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:28 am
    i got a licence for a rifle , as i wanted a good rifle gun dealers here are strongly recommending .315 IOF rather than 30-06 IOF ,coz in 30-06 they say the barrel is made of alloy (they better know which one) so it has chances of breaking due to little carelessnes if it falls on a hard surface , and also the finishing is nt good as the production has just started so theyll take time to perfect this model, as far as .315 is concerned its has superior finish ,tried and tested and improved due to longer experience of manufacturing. lemme check out after i buy one.
    Speak softly for the first time, next, let your AK-47 do the talking....

tobler69 Posts: 25Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 amLocation: Ranchi
    Last edited by Brithunter; 14-04-2012 at 01:22.