Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are your badger numbers up too?

Account Suspended

Are your badger numbers up too?

Following on from my recent thread asking if your Fox numbers were down, like mine are... i.e. at an all time low in my memory.

The badger population around here has been climbing steadily over the last 30 odd years, from almost none to quite a few setts within a mile of my house. In fact, at one point the diggers had all but wiped them out.

However, now I'm seeing lots more badgers than ever, at all times of day and night and the population really looks to have mushroomed this past winter. I'm talking about proper Badger "touns" now; with teens, if not scores, of sows and piglets to a community

Are your badger numbers up too?

here in surrey in great numbers we see more badgers than foxes on the lamp at the moment .

A farmer I shoot for summed it up for me: 'I grew up on a farm, and didn't see a live badger until I was 21. Now I've got a sett in every hedge on my property'.

At some stage in the future, the townies will suddenly discover that we no longer have many of our most loved species - things like skylarks, hedgehogs, dormice, and so on. At first they'll believe the bullsh*t put about by the usual suspects - that is, it's all due to intensive farming practices. Then, some time later, the scientists (at least the ones who don't read The Guardian) will do the sums and realise that the massive explosion in the badger population is almost entirely responsible for this terrible state of affairs. Whether they'll ever be able to publish this info, however, is another matter.

Same here! Had a walk round at the start of this week with NV and counted 18 in a about a 1 1/2 mile round trip! Our beef herd has been TB clear for the last 5 years, but went down again in February

ATB

Tom

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    A farmer I shoot for summed it up for me: 'I grew up on a farm, and didn't see a live badger until I was 21. Now I've got a sett in every hedge on my property'.

At some stage in the future, the townies will suddenly discover that we no longer have many of our most loved species - things like skylarks, hedgehogs, dormice, and so on. At first they'll believe the bullsh*t put about by the usual suspects - that is, it's all due to intensive farming practices. Then, some time later, the scientists (at least the ones who don't read The Guardian) will do the sums and realise that the massive explosion in the badger population is almost entirely responsible for this terrible state of affairs. Whether they'll ever be able to publish this info, however, is another matter.
    I concur, unreservedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post

Most folk who live in the town see most of there wildlife on the television and don't care much for it otherwise. The extent of their knowledge is also what has been fed to them through the media. They wouldn't know a skylark if it hit them in the face and they wouldn't know about any decline unless the media told them and yet they are having a massive influence on how our wildlife is managed.

Dorset is crawling with them. They are not hidden in hedges anymore. They are burrowing under farm buildings and causing concrete to collapse under the weight of cattle and the ones that are out in the fields seem to be expanding and making huge setts. As a country we seem to accept the fact that we are run by a government who seem to be manipulated by majority of urban voters who are in turn manipulated by the media.

Badgers around me and on my permissions are at a lower level than for the last few years but I wonder if that is because we have had hard winters and dry springs.

Never had a great many badgers in the immediate locallity, there are more up into the 'hills' but numbers have not really exploded.

The general wildlife, ground nesting birds etc are struggling just as much here as anywhere so the blame cannot be put at the door of badgers, more like foxes, carrion crows and the sprayer.

count how many you see knocked on the roads and compare that to the number of foxes you see hit . Cold winters and dry springs do take their toll on badgers by pushing worms and insect life deep below ground , march and early april are hard times for badgers if the weather is dry , maze cover crops are gone and alot of people stop feeding gamebirds so theres no wheat about . If you think about the ize of a badger and the numbers we now have i think you can say their a major predator of eggs , bumble bees , leverets infact just about anything they can catch . The old boys i have spoke to who used to dig them had no interest in wipping them out , no badgers no digging , one old fella used to dig badgers and move them for the water board , and the had no interest in baiting a badger . I think badgers need controling now but how you would go about it i dont know , gassing would be the quickest way to reduce numbers over a large area but i cant see ant goverment allowing it in the near future

have to agree with trouble ,the old timer that taught me to shoot went digging every sun morning with jack russells ,not for baiting just to reduce numbers for the local farmers ,he didnt want his terriers getting mangled .we have some big sets that go right out into the crops a problem for expensive agricultural kit ,our combines have 40ft headers and cost hundreds of 1000's ,but you cant touch the set .
    we moved a set which worked but only moved the problem really ,we used badger gates and once the authorities were happy the set was demolished and building work began ,as for control ...gas ,shoot,dont know probably a combination ?