Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stutzen or...

Stutzen or...

what's the purpose, look, feel, avoiding barrel scratches in the mountains, etc..

ie. why stutzen?...why not?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    what's the purpose, look, feel, avoiding barrel scratches in the mountains, etc..

ie. why stutzen?...why not?
    The story I heard was a German or Austrian count had a dodgy leg and needed a stick, he was keen on shooting and had a stock to look like a stick. Maybe he shot in woodland hence the shorter barrel?
    No advantage otherwise.
    If in doubt get one:

The very first long arms were mostly full stocked & tradition has made sure that the format still exists.
    I think that a stutzen can be a beautiful t'ing. It depends on what floats your boat. I've had a couple & really like them. A bit like Marmite!
    They are great woodland rifles and usually being shorter than half stocked weapons, they are very well balanced. They are often lighter too, so are good to carry all day. They are very nice to handle and are generally very well put together.
    A good one will shoot just as accurately as a half stocker. They can be a bit intolerant of poor hold/technique though.
    The wood will protect the metal - but conversely wood is easier to damage than metal so it's a non issue.
    The only downsides are - stutzens are more a fair weather rifle - more difficult to dry out etc and they are not well suited to having a moderator fitted.

Ian

Everything Ian said. They are a personal taste thing - but in the end, what isn't? I can't think of a single rifle that everybody would feel the same about but this is beautiful (at least to me).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD3.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	14572

A "Gentlemans" rifle.

They certainly look nice and traditional, but tend to have serious price tags. CZ are the only manufacturer IMHO who charge sensible money for a fullstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    A "Gentlemans" rifle.

They certainly look nice and traditional, but tend to have serious price tags. CZ are the only manufacturer IMHO who charge sensible money for a fullstock.
    You get what you pay for - usually stutzens are made to the upper end of the quality scale, and they are more difficult to manufacture, so it is logical that they cost a bit. -- You can't get a Rolls Royce for Austin Morris money. But as with cars the better quality rifles are often less used & have been better looked after, so second hand can be a sensible option if you want one.

Ian

Agree with most of the other posts. I've enjoyed several over the years and all have performed well in the field.
    Don't have one just now, but if this year pans out nicely I'll look for another....probably 6.5x54Msch. - Just for fun.
    Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

If you stalk in the rain much I would imagine there is more chance of the stock warping if the wood is not high quality.

I have three half stock and one stutzen. (A sauer 202 ). I tend not to use the Stutzen for much over 200yards, but then again I rarely plan to shoot beyond that anyway. I shot a 99/100 on the stalkers test at Monmouth last year, so it can't be described as inaccurate. I've used mine in -20C in Poland, and saw no change in the way it shot. It has been rained on a fair bit, and after any drenching I do strip it and get it really dry before oiling externally and reassembling. In short, I love the look and handling of the Stutzen, but would only recommend them to stalkers who love their rifles, and not those who treat them with the same care as they would a shovel.

bsa stutzen, can be had for under 200 squids and is a great shooter i love mine exellent set trigger as well ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports