Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bloody annoyed at myself

bloody annoyed at myself

grrrrrr,, i came home from work tonight at 5.30 , grabbed a cuppa then headed out to my local shoot with the 243, , after 3hrs of hee haw , i made my way back to the defender , walking up the track with the car in sight i had switched off , movement to my left was a roe buck with a GOOD head turning to look at me at under 30 ft away, we looked at each other for about 30 seconds he then turned and ran , barking as he went

lesson 1 , stay switched on till you are at the car,,

what would you guys have done ? , i thought by standing still he might have went back to feeding
    brian

At 30ft I would have got me sticks up as fast as possible and tried for the shot. Possibly even gone freehand at that distance. That close they will almost never relax again so you have to try to get the shot before they bolt in my experience. (and you are right they always appear when you let your guard down, I bumped one last night that cant have been 30ft from my car but it was dark by then anyway) If they have already seen you then I reckon you have until they have decided what you are until they go, they have seen you moving so a bit more movement makes little difference. I wouldnt even try mounting the rifle in slow mo I would just go for it
    Last edited by shootingduckdog; 14-04-2012 at 20:38.

rifle-to-shoulder-safety off-boom!...dinner.....

From the momment your out the car, till your back stay alert !

No point in hurrying to a favorite spot deer can be anywhere at any time !

Never mind you'll be on the ball next time for sure.

Atb, Buck.

PS. BOW!! you should have barked back at him, he might just have stopped in his tracks !! (BANG!!)
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 14-04-2012 at 20:50.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

the rifle was on my back in a fecking rucksack sling, there was no way it was coming up to aim in a swift movement lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    grrrrrr,, i came home from work tonight at 5.30 , grabbed a cuppa then headed out to my local shoot with the 243, , after 3hrs of hee haw , i made my way back to the defender , walking up the track with the car in sight i had switched off , movement to my left was a roe buck with a GOOD head turning to look at me at under 30 ft away, we looked at each other for about 30 seconds he then turned and ran , barking as he went

lesson 1 , stay switched on till you are at the car,,

what would you guys have done ? , i thought by standing still he might have went back to feeding
    brian
    learn by your mistake and imho better to be safe then sorry eg screwed shot injured Deer !!! its heathly and will be there to stalk another day

I secretly love getting caught out by deer, shows that I'm on 'their' turf and they beat me...when it happens that I get clocked I always stop and smile and enjoy the moment of watching him/her hop off...this time they won

it's not a bad thing to have bumped into him because now you know whereabouts to find him again!

lesson learnt early on rough shooting with my dad.
    always saw a fox or a pheasant within 20 yds of the car!!

never unload until you reach the car!!