Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any builders?

Any builders?

I'm hoping to lay on water and drainage to a small outbuilding later in the summer.

The problem is that the building is made from pre cast concrete sections.
    Does anybody know if these can be drilled with out the whole section cracking? I would need to drill a 2" to 3" hole through the 2" thick wall section but I'm not sure if its feasable to do...I was thinking that perhaps there is a special hole "cutter" whuch might be suitable?

Regards,

Peter

hi pete go to your local plant hire depot and ask for a core drill of whatever diameter you want,just make sure to tell them it,s for cutting through concrete,you wont have any problems with cracks.
    the scudd

Pete, you shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you don't hit the reinforcing steel in the concrete. As the scudd says, you can hire core drills to drill those sizes, alternatively, mark the size of hole(big enough for pipe lagging), drill a series of smaller holes(8 or 10mm) around the circumference and tap out the centre with a chisel. Make sure to protect your water and waste pipe where they go through the concrete(pipe lagging & silicone) Have fun, Pete.
    PS Core drills DO NOT LIKE RE-BAR

Thanks...just as well I asked as it never occurred to me that the sections contained reinforcing bar!

Its not a job thats on the cards immediately, but if I'm going to put a sink in, I will have to take into account its possible location with regards some other work I am doing...

Regards,

Peter

Pete, the alternative may be to go out through the floor. Possible or not??Cheers,Pete.

Downwind,

I didn't put the slab down but I think the guy who did built some sort of nuclear shelter under it! I once had to cut a couple of holes in it for something else and I swear the concrete was a good 6" thick! Since then, I have added a "skim" of another couple of inches inside the building to level the floor off and seal the bottom of the panels ect..

If its feasible, the walls would certainly be eaiser...

Regards,

Peter

core drills

If you go the core drill route be aware some plant hire firms charge by the day plus wear. If you whack rebar the wear could really cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    Downwind,

I didn't put the slab down but I think the guy who did has some sort of nuclear shelter under it! I once had to cut a couple of holes in it for something else and I swear the concrete was a good 6" thick! Since then, I have added a "skim" of another couple of inches inside the building to level the floor off and seal the bottom of the panels ect..

If its feasible, the walls would certainly be eaiser...

Regards,

Peter
    That being the case, go for the wall, just try to keep away from the joints where the sections butt together. Cheers, Pete.

Re: core drills

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog
    If you go the core drill route be aware some plant hire firms charge by the day plus wear. If you whack rebar the wear could really cost.
    Yea, and catch it wrong with a big SDS drill and you might not be able to hold your rifle for a day or two Cheers, Pete.

Try giving the panel you intend to drill the once over with a sparks conduit locator, it should show the locations of the rebar if they aren't to deep set. That way you can work out where to drill with the core drill and not hit any metal.

Personally I'd go for the multiple small hole option that way you can put the hole where you want it and not where you are forced to by the rebar positions.All you do is drill around them knock out the concrete and either cut the rebar with a hacksaw or small grinder.

Good luck and mind your knuckles.