Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culling cases

Culling cases

This is a question for the more target orientated of you.
    Out of interest, I recently weighed a batch of ammunition that I had loaded (7mm-08 in Norma brass) and found a considerable variation in the weights of the assembled rounds, approximately 1.4 grains lowest to highest weights, so I pulled a few heads to check the powder (doubting myself), but found that the powder was the only consistent component in the whole assembly. I've never felt it necessary to select brass by weight in the past (or case volume or neck turning for that matter) but this has got me thinking.
    My question is, do you select brass before or after you have performed other prepping operations, or in other words, in what order do you perform your selection and prepping operations?
    Last edited by DCG; 14-04-2012 at 21:37.

I wonder what the practical difference is between cases which have a weight difference of 1.4grains?

DCG, if you are shooting bench rest, yes you would batch your cases on weight after final case prep, trimming etc. However for hunting and less precise target shooting, there is no reason to do it. You will find that most of the weight difference is variaton is due to the brass and a little due to the projectiles. A range of 1.4 grains is pretty good in my opinion.

Dalula,
    For hunting purposes probably not a lot, but i'm no expert, my thinking was the heavier the case the thicker the wall the greater the pressure, hence the question. However I did find that .2 or.3 of a grain differance in the weight of the heads caused a point of impact shift by up to an inch at 100 yards, so worth the effort when trying to improve accuracy.
    DG
    Last edited by DCG; 14-04-2012 at 22:04.

Mountainstalker
    Yes your absolutely correct about the weights, I guess I just wasnt expecting that variation in the cases especially with Norma brass, but thought I might batch a few rounds up to see what variation it caused on paper.
    DG

Quote Originally Posted by DCG View Post
    Mountainstalker
    Yes your absolutely correct about the weights, I guess I just wasnt expecting that variation in the cases especially with Norma brass, but thought I might batch a few rounds up to see what variation it caused on paper.
    DG
    It's enough to make a grown reloader scream.

How would you know that any variation was caused by the 1.4 grain difference? I mean really! The combined weight variation between case, powder, and bullet, assembled, was inside a 1.4 grain spread?? By Gosh! Sometimes I think bored reloaders should have their scales locked away until it's time to do actual reloading. They spend far too much time fretting over "weight spreads"!! ( )~Muir

I've reloaded 90% of my ammo over the last severn years and I have to admit that I now do the least amount of work on each batch that I can safely get away with. I just do the basic stuff and no more. I don't get clover leaf groups but I think (know) thats down to me and not the gun. I reckon that barrel harmonics or call it what you will have a greater influence on accuracy than brass/bullet weight variations so if I were you I'd spend your time on finding a sweet shooting round that suits your gun.

regards

+1 mountainstalker, after you have trimmed etc. I use nosler custom which seems pretty good and is already weight sorted and prepped, however i did notice large differences in case length up to 10 thou. Im slowly but surely trimming all of my cases to the same length. Not sure if theres much appreciable difference in accuracy but i now know that variable isnt a variable any more.

The dark art whirlpool spins a little faster in Durham!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It's enough to make a grown reloader scream.

How would you know that any variation was caused by the 1.4 grain difference? I mean really! The combined weight variation between case, powder, and bullet, assembled, was inside a 1.4 grain spread?? By Gosh! Sometimes I think bored reloaders should have their scales locked away until it's time to do actual reloading. They spend far too much time fretting over "weight spreads"!! ( )~Muir
    Muir I couldnt agree with you more, but then again, sometimes I just can't help wondering.