Thread: New Rabbit Rig.

New Rabbit Rig.

I have had this item held for me at the Trading Post for a couple of weeks now. It's a Thompson Center Contender single shot pistol in .222 Remington mounted with a Lyman "All American" 4X rifle scope. I bought the gun to use as a platform for my new 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum carbine barrel but decided to run some handloads through the Deuce barrel just to see how it functioned. I found some once fire brass that would just fit in the action and loaded 19 grains of IMR 4198 under a 50 grain Speer "TNT" HP.

It was a little awkward shooting a handgun so close to my eye but luckily the .222 doesn't kick too much. The 100 yard target is attached. At 25 yards it put them all through the same hole. Tried 4895 powder as well but preliminary tests show that good 'ol 4198 delivered groups about half the size at 50 and 100 yards.

I think I'll be hanging on to this barrel for when I get tired of the 5mm or need a little extra range.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 15-04-2012 at 00:06.

I'd love to try one, seems to me it would be just about perfect to shoot rested on the car door mirror, nice find anyway.
    I have thought about try to make as close a copy as possible to comply with our rules.
    If the barrel is 300 mm or more, and overall length is 600 mm or more it is a rfle, or do I have that wrong ?
    Anybody know for sure ?

Neil.

Hi Neil,
    As I understand it, a gun with a barrel over 300mm and a ('permanant') overall length of 600mm is a Section 1 Firearm which the likes of you and I can have on our FAC's - if we can show good reason. So something like one of the break action Rossi rifles would fall under this category and be a bit like an extended version of Muir's pistol.
    If you could get a TC pistol with a barrel over 300mm and permanently fix an extension of some sort to the pistol grip making its overall length greater than 600mm (like people do with some long barrelled revolvers) it would be ok as a Section 1. Otherwise it would be a Section 5 pistol, I think, and you/I would normally be prohibited from owning it.
    Cheers,
    hh

I was thinking of a barrel around 18 inches and a pistol grip, that should keep it over the critical dimensions without
    the complication of extensions and all that that entails.
    So either a break action rifle or a left handed bolt gun for a right handed shooter.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I was thinking of a barrel around 18 inches and a pistol grip, that should keep it over the critical dimensions without
    the complication of extensions and all that that entails.
    So either a break action rifle or a left handed bolt gun for a right handed shooter.

Neil.
    Take a look at the Savage "Striker" bolt action handgun. If nothing else, you could drop it into a standard Savage rifle stock with an abbreviated foreend. I have one of these left-hand bolt, right hand eject pistols in 22WMR. Fantastic bit of gear.

Of course, a T/C Encore is probably easier to get and will accept all manners of rifle and handgun barrels. I have a butt-stock coming from Thompson Center and I must be very careful not to have a pistol barrel in the frame, with the shoulder stock in place if I am out in public. Once the butt stock is attached to a frame with a pistol barrel it is a 4th degree felony. You have to be very careful to remove the pistol barrel before attaching the shoulder stock. Silly stuff. I have another of these handguns in 22 Hornet that I've never really given a fair workout as it has an 8" barrel and iron sights. I should see to a scope for that one sometime.~Muir

I love T/C's I own an Encore with a 14.5" .243 barrel with a stock. Handy little truck gun.

There is a chap who produces a pistol variant UK legal with the coat hanger out the back. I can't recall his name off hand.

Muir I have read of the issues with pistol barrels being used with stocks. However I thought this also included the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    I love T/C's I own an Encore with a 14.5" .243 barrel with a stock. Handy little truck gun.

There is a chap who produces a pistol variant UK legal with the coat hanger out the back. I can't recall his name off hand.

Muir I have read of the issues with pistol barrels being used with stocks. However I thought this also included the frame?
    Not sure what you mean. Once the shoulder stock is on the frame you cannot have a pistol barrel (under 16.5" in length) attached to the frame. In other words, nothing with a shoulder stock can have a barrel less than 16.5 inches for a rifled weapon. The 18" barreled pistol grip combat shotguns qualify because they are over 23 inches in length. How they came up with that number is beyond me.~Muir

Shot these groups at 70 yards. This is the distance diagonally across the first lane of our little range. I also adjusted the trigger for a finer pull and minimal over travel. I'm seriously thinking this gun will stay as it stands and the Hornet will get dismantled to make into the 5mm Rifle! ~Muir

Established Poster
    This is what you chaps need, I don't own this gun I sell the owner cast bullets to feed it, it is a 30/30
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	14671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laminate TC.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	14672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casedTC.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	14673

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    This is what you chaps need, I don't own this gun I sell the owner cast bullets to feed it, it is a 30/30
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	14671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laminate TC.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	14672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casedTC.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	14673
    Nice rig!
    ~Muir