researching wild boar in UK

Carey

Hi,

I'm not a hunter myself but I am currently doing some research on wild boar populations in the UK. Would be really interested in getting peoples opinions and first hand experiences on any noticeable increases or decreases in populations that they may have noticed in recent years.

Carey

To anybody that hunts wild boar in the UK, or has in the past, please see the short questionnaire attached of 6 questions for your experiences and opinions.

This research aims to assess wild boar populations and sustainability, investigating the possibility of introducing a closed hunting season in the UK for boar. Data from this research will be reported in the project and information obtained shall remain anonymous.

Thank you

View attachment Questionnaire Regarding Wild Boar Hunting in the UK.doc
View attachment Questionnaire Regarding Wild Boar Hunting in the UK.doc

Hi Carey.

That's an interesting topic you'd like to research. However, you're not likely to get many answers on here without telling us more about who you are and what your purposes are.

In fact, until you give us a proper intro, eg a brief resume of what you do and where you do it, your interests and proclivities (no need for details that would identify you in the real world) i.e. just enough so we can pick holes your credibilty :D, you're only likely to get more responses like this one. ;)

Atb~Tom

Hi Tamus,

To elaborate, it is for a research project I am doing at Kingston University. I am quite interested in wildlife management and was really interested in this topic as there dont seem to be any official figures of wild boar in the UK, only broad estimates. As part of my research, I would like to ask people who have first hand sightings' of boar their experiences and opinions. The questionnaire I have attached to the previous post is very short and simple, so if anyone could give me a reply I'd be very grateful.

Carey

Last edited:
You have still not shed much light on your subject, don't hold your breath,

John

Hi,

I apologise if I have not made the topic clear enough. I am studying at Kingston University and this is part of a research project I am conducting. Here is an exert of my project proposal which should clarify the project aims and methods:
"Is the implementation of a closed hunting season necessary for the sustainability of the European wild boar (Sus scrofa scrofa) population in the UK?
The aim of this project is to establish if wild boar populations in the UK are sustainable without a seasonal hunting ban, or if populations are too small in localised areas that over hunting may cause the species to become extinct in the UK.
Research materials to be used in this study are the distributed questionnaires which have been formulated to determine a number of facts which may be an indicator as to decline/incline of wild boar populations, as well as other factors which may indicate an effect in the population. To carry out this research, questionnaires shall be distributed to a small but relevant sample size, comprising of Local Councils, hunters of wild boar, and wildlife organisations. This form of cooperative inquiry incorporates experiences, explanations and expert opinion and in effect makes the participants partners in this research (Easterby-Smith et al., 2008:94).
As well as uncertainty surrounding population figures, there is also confusion surrounding breeding seasons of the species. It is claimed by some that wild boars have a prolonged breeding season, and for this reason, no official hunting season can be granted to them due to fear of over-population (BASC, 2011; DEFRA, 2008; FDDC, 2009 cited in Goulding, 2009:64). Conversely, it is suggested by Spitz, 1986 (cited in DEFRA 2004:3), BASC (2011) and Moore, 2004 (cited in Goulding, 2009:64) that sows are seasonally polyoestrus, and that only when food is abundant they may produce two litters a year. This research project will investigate what time of year commercial hunters and landowners see offspring, determining if boar in the UK are breeding more than once a year which will obviously have a significant effect on populations."

All data recieved shall remain anonymous.

Carey

Carey

You getting this are you. You won't get any info if we don't know anything about you. There are rules to join the forum and 1st rule is an introduction about YOU.

Wild Boar are Boar in singular & Boar in Plural, & I seem to remember that the I is always before E excepting after C, seems our Uni's have quite a bit of work on hand.

You might find that site members are really helpful to you if only you were supply a few more personal details! Anyway to assist, Wild Boar are absent from the Isle of Wight.atb Tim

Apologies.
I am a student of Animal Behaviour. As part of my course I am required to conduct a research project of my choice concerning any animal species. I simply chose this topic as I thought it would be an interesting one to cover.
My purpose here is to conduct research. I have no particular preference of either a year-round open hunting season, or for a closed season. I am simply interested in finding out if hunters have noticed any changes in populations and what times of year offspring are seen.
If it is my personal opinion you would like on the matter, I think that populations should be limited and maintained through hunting or culls, but not completely wiped out of the UK. This research is to establish if there have been any significant changes in populations.
I am a male from London in my 20’s. I’m not sure what other personal details you would like to know about me?

Hi Tamus,

To elaborate, it is for a research project I am doing at Kingston University. I am quite interested in wildlife management and was really interested in this topic as there dont seem to be any official figures of wild boar in the UK, only broad estimates. As part of my research, I would like to ask people who have first hand sightings' of boar their experiences and opinions. The questionnaire I have attached to the previous post is very short and simple, so if anyone could give me a reply I'd be very grateful.

Carey

Carey.You seem to have pigeon holed yourself.
Had you said "game management" instead of "wildlife management",folks may have replied.
Please understand that anti's & animal liberationists are constantly blurring the lines around , management ,conservation,sustainability,welfare,etc.
History has shown us that the benefits of hunting, to everything from conservation to public health will be twisted by the dark side.
Generally speaking, game managers are trusted more than "wildlife professionals". Be warned, because hunters are performance based,measurable outcomes & history are important.This needs to be earned.
What is your history?

Cheers Sharkey

Hi Carey,

Now for a refreshing change.

Good luck with your research, is this for your thesis?

I personally have never shot boar in this country, though I would if I got that chance. What stakeholders are you consulting? I would be interesting in reading your conclusions, may even serve as input to legislative consultations. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to respond directly to the thread.

Regards

Wills

Hi,

I'm not a hunter myself but I am currently doing some research on wild boar populations in the UK. Would be really interested in getting peoples opinions and first hand experiences on any noticeable increases or decreases in populations that they may have noticed in recent years.

Carey

Obtaining meaningful numbers of wild animals is a not easy business. I suggest you approach the British Deer Society and ask them how they arrive at deer numbers in the various counties.

The survey form is basic and seems harmless enough. Nothing to be wary of.

If I hunted boar I would complete it, but I don't so have not.

Good luck.

Hi Wills

Thank you. Yes this research is for my thesis. I am trying to gather information from local councils and wildlife organizations, although I believe my most valuable research data will be from hunters as they can provide first hand accounts and valid opinions of wild boar populations. I would of course be happy to send you a copy of my conclusions, although at the moment it is rather lacking in data.

If any wild boar hunters could possibly take a couple of minutes to answer this short questionnaire I would be most grateful. I would also be happy to send a copy of my conclusions to any one that wishes to view it.

Kind regards

Carey

Last edited:
Hi Carey

A novice shooter here, but I would like to hunt boar at some stage. I have a research degree in ecology and have been involved in conservation in the past, and although my specific field was unrelated I am interested in seeing the return of former native species to the UK where feasible. A closed season for boar sounds like a good idea to me (although, as I say, I'm no expert).

You might be interested in the video at There are various centres which organise boar shoots in the UK, and if you googled for them they'd probably have the best data. You are probably aware that there has been work on Boar ecology on the continent where hunting them is part of the culture. Don't know any specific papers, but I knew an italian PhD who wrote some. Can't remember her surname, unfortunately!

I really don't blame people for being cautious about anti-hunt types. There are two other issues which might make hunters more enthusiastic about your project if you highlighted them:

1) From my perspective boar hunting in the uk could, subject to hard data, be one of the best examples there is of hunting actually assisting conservation. This is a native species, potentially compatible with certain types of habitat management (e.g. maintaining diversity of microhabitats within a woodland), which also has "wildlife" value in it's own right. It is currently regarded by many as a pest, so giving it an economic value to farmers and landowners (as a game species - a tasty one at that without the chemical inputs and environmental costs of intensive farming) would give them a reason not to exterminate it. At the same time the population would need to remain controlled by an effective means - i.e. shooting - because an excessive population would be very destructive to farms, nature reserves, etc.

2) Ironically, there's an animal welfare case for managed hunting of boar on two counts: (a) responsible rifle hunters are concerned with a quick, humane kill as a matter of pride (and to avoid tracking a wounded animal through the night) while farmers are currently just concerned with driving off pests. Boars are tough animals and blasting them with shotguns (instead of taking careful with an appropriate calibre rifle) is as cruel as it gets; (b) have you ever seen inside an intensive pig farm or an abattoir? You could argue that it would be kinder from a welfare standpoint to not have boar here at all - but the same argument could be made for any mammal species, quarry species or not. If you want to eliminate suffering in a species, eliminate the species. If you want to see what would really make them suffer, look to your population model.

Back