Thread: Black Lab with extra claw.

Black Lab with extra claw.

No not a dew claw!

I asked the vet about this when my 2year old bitch was a pup and he said to keep an eye on it, didn't seem worried.

So I haven't worried either but I'm interested and I haven't found a similar case on searching the net.

She has an extra claw on her front right paw and it comes out of the side of the right toe pad and is upside down, it turns upwards. I trim it when it gets long, keep it trimmed flush to her pad.

Anyone seen anything similar on a lab? Should I get a second opinion from another vet?

The bitch is from a working strain, came from nr Dent Cumbria.

It's called polydactyly. More common in cats but not unknown in dogs.

Nothing to worry about. If it gets in the way or frequently traumatised it could be removed.

How about a picture?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks Vetinary! I've been shooting well with that Winchester 1400 I bought from you btw!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paw.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	14575

Here is the paw with the extra claw, good to have a name for it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.