Thread: roe buck calls

roe buck calls

what is a good call for calling roe bucks this time of year

buttolo does most things, not sure about time of year though

There isn't one for this time of year, buttelo is probably the easiest to use, but keep it for the rut, going about using a call outside the rut period will only educate your Bucks making your chance of success less not more.

Buttelo are great at calling buzzards but never got adeer to come close

I've got the Hubertus cherry wood one, never used it in the rut yet as learning that skill for this summer; however, I 'did' give it a whack on a buck that was laying down, and it got up promptly and stood nicely for a shot,,,mind, a bark might have done the same thing.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Now's not the time of the year to be calling roe. It only works effectively during the rut and even then there are no guarantees.

I've certainly had success with the Buttolo. The problem I have is that it can also good on muntjac. As others have said, the danger of using it outside of the rut is that all you're doing is educating the roe.

Back in 2010 I bought a Rottumtaler roe call (http://www.stalkinggear.co.uk/index....roducts_id=146). It's more expensive and needs a bit more technique than the Buttolo, but it seemed to work a treat. I had a young buck come steaming in to the call from a couple of fields away. Whether the same would have happened with the Buttolo I can't say, but it certainly impressed me.

If you want to understand the different calls then I'd certainly recommend getting hold of a copy of Richard Prior's CD/cassette. Play it in the car and "fiep" along with it to perfect your technique.

Good luck!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Now's not the time of the year to be calling roe. It only works effectively during the rut and even then there are no guarantees.

I've certainly had success with the Buttolo. The problem I have is that it can also good on muntjac. As others have said, the danger of using it outside of the rut is that all you're doing is educating the roe.

Back in 2010 I bought a Rottumtaler roe call (http://www.stalkinggear.co.uk/index....roducts_id=146). It's more expensive and needs a bit more technique than the Buttolo, but it seemed to work a treat. I had a young buck come steaming in to the call from a couple of fields away. Whether the same would have happened with the Buttolo I can't say, but it certainly impressed me.

If you want to understand the different calls then I'd certainly recommend getting hold of a copy of Richard Prior's CD/cassette. Play it in the car and "fiep" along with it to perfect your technique.

Good luck!

willie_gunn
    great listening in the car, except if you are travelling with your dog, it drives them MAD!..that goes for the Mrs too BTW...

i have a Rottumtaler and like it alot it has a really nice sound once you get the hang of it and well worth the effort , cant wait to get some footage this year while out stalking,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think using a roe call at this time of year will make your chances of success in the rut more difficult.

Roe calls at this time of year can be useful if you want to assess where the does are having or if they have had their young yet. But you have to be very careful. Do not do more than a couple of pips. If the doe immediately comes running then you know that this doe was pregnant and dropped her young. Stop immediately and do no more. And make sure she doesn't see you.

One of the main reasons for not using a call at this time of year is that you are trying not to educate the does as well!!

It is important to remember that the roe call can produce different sounds and these things mean different things at different times in the rut. They can be used to devastating effect but only when if you know what you are doing and this takes time and practice.

My longest call in of a buck was over 500m away and he only glanced at the does he was passing as if to say "done that, done that, done that"

I can't give away all my secrets in one go, so I'll let other learned individuals tell a few of theirs.

Buttelo , but keep it for the Rut, Will also work for Muntjac I am led to believe but have not tried one yet. Very easy to use and have called them in from 300 - 400 yards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.