Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39

CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39

Just picked up one of these handy little rifles. Factory ammo does not reach 1700 ft lbs but reloading with either 125 or 150 gn .311 diameter bullets should easily attain 1700 ft lbs according to Quickload.
    Mate in Cornwall has one for use on a particularly dense piece of roe ground where encounters tend to be sudden and close. Lovely light rifle and out to 100yds with a suitable scope can produce good groups, can't wait to get mine set up.

Nice little rifles! I looked long and hard at a 2nd hand one in the city but was too late in pulling the trigger (pardon the pun) and it got sold before I could react. I'm just hoping that the person who bought it didn't burn out the barrel shooting cheap, Chinese, steel bulleted, corrosive ammo through it! A friend of mine uses one on South Dakota mule deer with 125 grain bullets at closer ranges. Says it works well! Good luck with it. You've done well!~Muir

I just missed out on buying one of these - a great little gun. If you decide you need more oomph, you could also take it out to an improved chamber, using the .22 or 6mmPPC cases that are on the market. I have wanted one to build into a little 6mm PPC varmint and small deer rifle.

I bought one as my first rifle.
    I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking in woodland or orchards

Also know a guy who has just mated the action to a new barrel (Grendel) and is saying good things about the results

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking in woodland or orchards

Also know a guy who has just mated the action to a new barrel (Grendel) and is saying good things about the results
    Great minds and all that, certainly an option I was considering when I committed to buy. I have shot 6.5 Grendel but in a straight pull AR type platform, which is not really me even though the rifle was a superb custom build, I prefer the more solid bolt/falling block type actions. With the high BC 123gn Scenar & AMax bullets accuracy can be exceptional.

Being ballistically pretty close to the venerable Winchester 30-30, I'd say that rifle/caliber would be about perfect for those deer you have in the UK. Handy rifle as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    Great minds and all that, certainly an option I was considering when I committed to buy. I have shot 6.5 Grendel but in a straight pull AR type platform, which is not really me even though the rifle was a superb custom build, I prefer the more solid bolt/falling block type actions. With the high BC 123gn Scenar & AMax bullets accuracy can be exceptional.
    These rifles are quite sought after in the USA for converting to 6.8SPC. Would do the same here if I'd not already got lucky in picking up a 6.8 Rem 700

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Being ballistically pretty close to the venerable Winchester 30-30, I'd say that rifle/caliber would be about perfect for those deer you have in the UK.
    I have to disagree. This is commonly stated, but the facts do not add up.

30-30 has a case capacity of 2.45cc, and can comfortably exceed our UK 1700/1750 fpe power requirements. With suitable loads it also meets the Scottish 2450 fps velocity requirement whilst still making the energy for all our deer. With factory ammo, as well as handloads.

Nevertheless it is not a popular calibre in the UK. Personally I think it is near perfect for woodland stalking at moderate ranges, using a levergun.

7.62x39R has a case capacity of 2.03 cc i.e. 20% less and uses a .311 bullet which is not readily available in deer legal factory ammo or component form. It is basically a 1500 fpe cartridge, so not legal for any large deer in the UK. It would only be legal for Muntjac or CWD in England. With a lightish bullet it could also be legal for Roe in Scotland, but why bother when a .22 centrefire will be more accurate, flatter shooting, and can do the same job with readily available bullets and ammo ?

ISTR Bruce Potts based a project on a CZ527 rebarreled in a BR calibre, but couldn't get it deer-legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking
    Have you chronoed that load ?

The best velocity I could find in my reloading manuals for a 125 grain bullet was 2408 fps i.e. 1609 fpe meaning it would not be legal for Roe in England/Wales. (underpowered) or in Scotland (to slow).

Quote Originally Posted by Stover Rover View Post
    reloading with either 125 or 150 gn .311 diameter bullets should easily attain 1700 ft lbs according to Quickload.
    The best loads I have found in my manuals give only 2408 fps with 125 grain bullet (100% capacity load), i.e 1600 fpe, or 2192 fps with 150 grains (a compressed load) i.e. also 1600 fpe. These were the top loads published, most were around 1500 fpe.

There simply isn't enough case capacity to approach 1700 fpe with standard powders and design pressures.

Unless Quickload knows differently ?