CZ 527 Carbine 7.62x39

Stover Rover

Just picked up one of these handy little rifles. Factory ammo does not reach 1700 ft lbs but reloading with either 125 or 150 gn .311 diameter bullets should easily attain 1700 ft lbs according to Quickload.
Mate in Cornwall has one for use on a particularly dense piece of roe ground where encounters tend to be sudden and close. Lovely light rifle and out to 100yds with a suitable scope can produce good groups, can't wait to get mine set up.

Nice little rifles! I looked long and hard at a 2nd hand one in the city but was too late in pulling the trigger (pardon the pun) and it got sold before I could react. I'm just hoping that the person who bought it didn't burn out the barrel shooting cheap, Chinese, steel bulleted, corrosive ammo through it! A friend of mine uses one on South Dakota mule deer with 125 grain bullets at closer ranges. Says it works well! Good luck with it. You've done well!~Muir

I just missed out on buying one of these - a great little gun. If you decide you need more oomph, you could also take it out to an improved chamber, using the .22 or 6mmPPC cases that are on the market. I have wanted one to build into a little 6mm PPC varmint and small deer rifle.

I bought one as my first rifle.
I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking in woodland or orchards

Also know a guy who has just mated the action to a new barrel (Grendel) and is saying good things about the results

I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking in woodland or orchards

Also know a guy who has just mated the action to a new barrel (Grendel) and is saying good things about the results

Great minds and all that, certainly an option I was considering when I committed to buy. I have shot 6.5 Grendel but in a straight pull AR type platform, which is not really me even though the rifle was a superb custom build, I prefer the more solid bolt/falling block type actions. With the high BC 123gn Scenar & AMax bullets accuracy can be exceptional.

Being ballistically pretty close to the venerable Winchester 30-30, I'd say that rifle/caliber would be about perfect for those deer you have in the UK. Handy rifle as well... :)

Great minds and all that, certainly an option I was considering when I committed to buy. I have shot 6.5 Grendel but in a straight pull AR type platform, which is not really me even though the rifle was a superb custom build, I prefer the more solid bolt/falling block type actions. With the high BC 123gn Scenar & AMax bullets accuracy can be exceptional.

These rifles are quite sought after in the USA for converting to 6.8SPC. Would do the same here if I'd not already got lucky in picking up a 6.8 Rem 700

Being ballistically pretty close to the venerable Winchester 30-30, I'd say that rifle/caliber would be about perfect for those deer you have in the UK.

I have to disagree. This is commonly stated, but the facts do not add up.

30-30 has a case capacity of 2.45cc, and can comfortably exceed our UK 1700/1750 fpe power requirements. With suitable loads it also meets the Scottish 2450 fps velocity requirement whilst still making the energy for all our deer. With factory ammo, as well as handloads.

Nevertheless it is not a popular calibre in the UK. Personally I think it is near perfect for woodland stalking at moderate ranges, using a levergun.

7.62x39R has a case capacity of 2.03 cc i.e. 20% less and uses a .311 bullet which is not readily available in deer legal factory ammo or component form. It is basically a 1500 fpe cartridge, so not legal for any large deer in the UK. It would only be legal for Muntjac or CWD in England. With a lightish bullet it could also be legal for Roe in Scotland, but why bother when a .22 centrefire will be more accurate, flatter shooting, and can do the same job with readily available bullets and ammo ?

ISTR Bruce Potts based a project on a CZ527 rebarreled in a BR calibre, but couldn't get it deer-legal.

I use 125 grain handloads and it remains my favourite for roe stalking

Have you chronoed that load ?

The best velocity I could find in my reloading manuals for a 125 grain bullet was 2408 fps i.e. 1609 fpe meaning it would not be legal for Roe in England/Wales. (underpowered) or in Scotland (to slow).

reloading with either 125 or 150 gn .311 diameter bullets should easily attain 1700 ft lbs according to Quickload.

The best loads I have found in my manuals give only 2408 fps with 125 grain bullet (100% capacity load), i.e 1600 fpe, or 2192 fps with 150 grains (a compressed load) i.e. also 1600 fpe. These were the top loads published, most were around 1500 fpe.

There simply isn't enough case capacity to approach 1700 fpe with standard powders and design pressures.

Unless Quickload knows differently ?

30-30 has a case capacity of 2.45cc, and can comfortably exceed our UK 1700/1750 fpe power requirements. With suitable loads it also meets the Scottish 2450 fps velocity requirement whilst still making the energy for all our deer. With factory ammo, as well as handloads.

Nevertheless it is not a popular calibre in the UK. Personally I think it is near perfect for woodland stalking at moderate ranges, using a levergun.

7.62x39R has a case capacity of 2.03 cc i.e. 20% less and uses a .311 bullet which is not readily available in deer legal factory ammo or component form. It is basically a 1500 fpe cartridge, so not legal for any large deer in the UK. It would only be legal for Muntjac or CWD in England. With a lightish bullet it could also be legal for Roe in Scotland, but why bother when a .22 centrefire will be more accurate, flatter shooting, and can do the same job with readily available bullets and ammo ?

ISTR Bruce Potts based a project on a CZ527 rebarreled in a BR calibre, but couldn't get it deer-legal.

Interesting post, however, since cases,primers,powder and expanding heads all came off the shelf at a Hastings RFD your comment on availability puzzles me.

Actually, it's not too far away from the 30-30 with 125's in a practical sense. Twenty four fifty speeds from the 7.62x39 with 123's to 2600 fps with 125's on the 30-30. With your odd cartridge requirements, that 150 fps is all important but I doubt a deer would know the difference. I shoot deer with a 357 magnum revolver. A 158 grain bullet delivers 786 ft/lbs but manages to kill deer at 50 yards.~Muir

Ahhh if they made the CZ 527 in 30-30 using H335 powder and the Hornady 130 grain SP I would expect to see velocities of around 2800 fps. Yes this exceeds SAMMI pressures by quite a bit but in such a rifle would be fine. The data I used to load such 30-30's came from Petersens Publishing's lab in Kalifornia and it's the data and load I use in my 30-30 bolt action. Case life is fine too to date have not had to scrap any through fatigue or showing stress.

What about the 6.8 spc. The 6.8mm Remington SPC

110g 270 bullet at c2700-2800 fps with a small cartridge that will easily fit into the cz527 action. Imagine a nice trim rifle - lightish barrel, Mannlicher style stock out of a nice piece of walnut and a little 3-9x36 swaro scope. A wonderful stalking rifle you would forget you are carrying. And deer legal for all uk species.

A friend of mine shoots 6.8SPC from a AR platform and he kills all his deer with it. He figures it won't be very effective past 200 yards on larger deer. His farthest shot has been 150 yards so far and he's had no issues.~Muir

What about the 6.8 spc. The 6.8mm Remington SPC

110g 270 bullet at c2700-2800 fps with a small cartridge that will easily fit into the cz527 action. Imagine a nice trim rifle - lightish barrel, Mannlicher style stock out of a nice piece of walnut and a little 3-9x36 swaro scope. A wonderful stalking rifle you would forget you are carrying. And deer legal for all uk species.

See post #7 :D
6.8SPC is a beatiful round with a very wide choice of bullets (over 39 to date, with a LOT more in the offing)

My Rem 700 LTR, while based on the Rem 700 Police model, is a very compact 40" package with excellent handling and accuracy.
I feel that Remington, even though they were involved in the rounds development, really missed the boat with the 6.8....as a Model 7 chambered for it would sell like hot cakes.
Dakota Arms offer rifles in the chambering - with Ruger also selling an M77 variant (but with the SAAMI chamber!! - see below)

The only very minor issue is not a lot of factory fodder - but as I have been a reloader for 30 years I always tend to roll my own anyway - so possibly more of an issue for estates where they buy their ammo in for clients/keepers!
Most .277/.270 bullets in the 140gr & under range work in the bolt action 6.8 - as you are not then restricted to AR magazine length rounds.

The 6.8 has a MASSIVE following in the USA and is now ranked the #2 round for the AR15 platform.

@MUIR: If your friend needs access to one, I have the SPECII chamber reamer....turns out that the wrong drawing was submitted to SAAMI when the round was designed. The SAAMI chamber is slightly shorter on the leade with a different shoulder angle.
The SPECII chamber improves the leade and allows much hotter loads to be used at lower pressures; more an issue with an AR than a bolt-gun.
YOur friend NEEDS to get on the 68Forum for some load info too...200 yds is nothing for the round - he may need to read up on the new powders & bullets for it.

@MUIR: If your friend needs access to one, I have the SPECII chamber reamer....turns out that the wrong drawing was submitted to SAAMI when the round was designed. The SAAMI chamber is slightly shorter on the leade with a different shoulder angle.
The SPECII chamber improves the leade and allows much hotter loads to be used at lower pressures; more an issue with an AR than a bolt-gun.
YOur friend NEEDS to get on the 68Forum for some load info too...200 yds is nothing for the round - he may need to read up on the new powders & bullets for it.

Thanks for the offer but Montana is a long way from the UK! My friend has had no issues yet with reloading his DPMS but he is not very scientific about it. His groups are good. My friend's experiences are dealing with 200 pound mule deer and as he is an experienced hunter, turning minimalist, I have no reason to doubt his opinion until I try it myself. I will pass on the site info to him tho. Thanks.~Muir

Interesting post, however, since cases,primers,powder and expanding heads all came off the shelf at a Hastings RFD your comment on availability puzzles me.

Thats interesting to know. The Outdoorsman ?

PS: what is your load for Roe, have you chronoed it ?

Muir, a better comparison would be with the 150-170 grain ammunition for which the 30-30 was designed. E.g. Hornady claim their 160 grain Hornady FTX load achieves 2400 fps 2046 fpe. That is over 100 fpe more than they claim for .243 100 grain ammunition. Doubtless an enthusiastic handload could do even better. 30-30 is definitely a capable calibre for all our UK deer.

Yes The Outdoorsman :) when Myles was there- not sure though if the girls are holding full stocks in his absence.

Re chrono, No I haven't, but,
The handoads were prepared by a friend who also holds a 7.62x39 and regularly shoots deer with his handloads.
He's also a very very knowledgable and experienced rifleman (He's also the guy who has created the Grendel mentioned in my earlier post) and he has loaded me
Sierra Gameking 125 grain sp in
S&B cases with
26.7grains of Vit N120 as the propellant
Primers are Remington 9.5 Large Rifle

He taught me how to reload the round and he demonstrated how he met the legal requirements by using his manuals, so, I have no doubt the round meets all requirements,but proof the round works is that I have dropped stone dead (with a chest shot) a roe buck at 65 yards using one of his handloads

Last edited:
Yes The Outdoorsman
:) when Myles was there- not sure though if the girls are holding full stocks in his absence.

Re chrono, No I haven't, but,
The handoads were prepared by a friend who also holds a 7.62x39 and regularly shoots deer with his handloads.
He's also a very very knowledgable and experienced rifleman (He's also the guy who has created the Grendel mentioned in my earlier post) and he has loaded me
Sierra Gameking 125 grain sp in
S&B cases with
26.7grains of Vit N120 as the propellant
Primers are Remington 9.5 Large Rifle

He taught me how to reload the round and he demonstrated how he met the legal requirements by using his manuals, so, I have no doubt the round meets all requirements,but proof the round works is that I have dropped stone dead (with a chest shot) a roe buck at 65 yards using one of his handloads

I don't doubt that it works very well in practice.

I'm sorry but I think your reloading friend has got it wrong. If he has supplied these reloads claiming they are legal for deer, get it in writing, preferably with a proof house report and sight of his liability insurance :-|. Reloading for others is potentially a legal nightmare.

If he is just a mate helping you out, do your own homework too. Better still, buy a chrono and use it. Surprised your friend hasn't already done so, Its an essential bit of kit for anyone who reloads. Without one you are just guessing, or deluding yourself or others.

See Products - Lapua

125 grain bullets = 8.1 grams.

For that bullet weight they publish a maximum load of 26.0 grains N120 making 2309 fps (albeit 16" barrel) so yours might be a little faster, with your tiny bit more powder and a few inches more barrel.)

Nevertheless the published load only makes 1480 fpe. Thats 220 to 270 fpe too low. I really doubt that your rifle can be legal for Roe or bigger deer in England, or any deer in Scotland, using that load.

I'm surprised you aren't using N130 (unless your chap already had the N120). Lapua publish a 27.6 grain load at 2359 fps. which would get you up to 1544 fpe, but still nowhere close to legal for Roe in England. Might just scrape in for Scotland with a following wind (about 70 mph).

And AFAIK Sierra don't make a 125 grain Gameking in .308, and none in .311 so I'm not sure what bullet you bought ?

The girls are doing a good job at the shop. I don't expect, or want, to see Myles again, he has been a very bad boy and TBH it didn't surprise me, though it was still a shocker to hear what he did. :mad:

Lets take it to PM if you would like to discuss further. I'm in Hastings much of the time.

Sierra Bullets - The Bulletsmiths

Back