Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipod

Bipod

Whats the ideal length of bipod for the prone and sitting position. There seems to be few out there in different lengths, just wondering what you guys use, swivel non swivel etc..

Cheers Bryan

SD Regular
    Gosh, you're busy tonight!

For prone in the field you'll want one in the 9-16 range. For sitting, you'll want the 13-27 range. Each manufacturer will have their own variants. I'd always go for tilt/swivel, because the reality of the field is that you won't get many flat lies and canting the rifle is easier and quicker than pigging about with the length of the individual legs. Ideal height is down to you and your shooting position. I think 6-9 is too low for the field.

I have 9-13's and 15-27's - I prefer the extra height option of the 27 in the sitting position over the heather. After that I'm on my sticks on their lower settings. I doubt you'll get one set for everything.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

not meaning to hi jack the thread but also what make would you guys suggest. i know harris seem to be the best but stoney point, nikko stirling and deben all do their own and some at half the price of a harris

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    not meaning to hi jack the thread but also what make would you guys suggest. i know harris seem to be the best but stoney point, nikko stirling and deben all do their own and some at half the price of a harris
    Good question and it will raise much debate - a bit like 'which calibre?'!!!

Many will opt for Harris as the original and best - but they are pricey. I happen to like the snipersystems version - and I find the lengths better (particularly on the mid length). Some have had quality issues with these, but I have been fortunate not to and they are half the price. Deben are OK - I don't like the Edgar Bros version though.

On Stoney Point, the rapid pivot is a system I dearly want to love, but can't quite convince myself. The taller sticks are excellent, but the trigger stick also looks pretty neat - spending some money there again though.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    Whats the ideal length of bipod for the prone and sitting position. There seems to be few out there in different lengths, just wondering what you guys use, swivel non swivel etc..

Cheers Bryan
    Bryan. A lot depends on how tall you are and how heavy you are. Try borrowing one or two Harris bipods from your pals to try before spending any money. Good luck. JCS

Cheers lads, appreciate the opinions. Sometimes it costs a few bob before you get it right, hopefully trying to minimise the spend on equipment thats not quite right..If it means spending a bit more on the right gear the wife will have to grin and bear it...lol

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Bryan

It will depend upon what type of stalking you are expecting. I have a 13.5-27 Harris permanently mounted on my 308 that is great for sitting/kneeling shots but a bit long for prone, even in the heather, where you may find the 9-13 is better.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I got a tall harris and cut it down to 8" for prone collapsed, extends to 24", so good for sitting,,,but you got to be good with your fingers and tools to make it work tbh, and willing to potentially wreck a new bipod...LOL

Stoney point all the way there light strong and very very long.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/

had a stoneypoint rapid pivot bipod and rated it very highly, until TWICE, the screw sling stud attachment broke and both times sent my beloved sako and S&B into the argyll hillsides,,,as it's the top attachment that goes!!!

NEVER AGAIN!