Thread: Wait all day for one, and 2 come along at once

Wait all day for one, and 2 come along at once

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colins first roe buck`s.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	14629I recently invited a friend and fellow SD member (Gentleman Jim) over from Ireland for a couple of days stalking roe bucks.
    Duly picked him up from Liverpool airport quick breakfast and back home to collect dog, rifles etc.
    just over 4 hrs later arrived at the scottish borders and kitted up ready for for a couple of hours in the high seats.
    gave GJ a highseat over looking some clear fell and got myself comfortable in one overlooking a small valley close by.
    Just dozing off when a large buck,who had approached from behind, spotted griff sat under the highseat and started barking at him. The buck was less than 20yds away Griff sat up but held position until the buck moved off. unfortunately without presenting a shot.
    gave it a while longer and decided to have a walk round, collected GJ and set of around the perimeter of the forest, just on last light I spotted a roe doe aprox 500yds away, after watching her grazing for a while it was obvious she was very lame, so asked GJ if he wanted to stalk into position and take her out.
    After a difficult approach he made an excellent heart shot at 175yds, job done his first roe deer albiet an injured doe
    After the gralloch we went into town to get a meal then returned to site as we planned to lamp for fox all night.
    Pity the weather had other plans as it rained/sleeted and tried to snow all night. no option but to try and get some sleep in the motor (f*****G freezing) so ended up with the engine running tom keep warm.
    As it came light we decided to have a mooch about anyway even though it was still raining and barely above freezing.
    Got GJ set up on the edge of the forest and took griff with me through a couple of well used rides hoping to push a couple out to him.
    A short while later I got a phone call from him telling me there was a good looking buck out in front of him aprox 150yds away, could he shoot it. after a quick reply The sound of the suppressed 6mm rem came through the trees (1 down).
    I had just set off towards him when another shot rang out ( oh **** ) got there to find GJ grinning from ear to ear, when asked what had happened he told me , he had no sooner pulled the trigger on the first buck when a second younger buck popped up out of the reeds so he shot that as well, as he shot that one a doe appeared 20yds away from where the first buck had fell looked across and then carried on feeding.
    Sent griff out to find them (an easy task with the wind coming directly over them to us) then went and checked them out.
    Both had been heart/lung shots and dropped on the spot a nice little 5pointer and a young buck still in velvet.
    gralloched both and then the long walk back to the motor.
    As it was turning to snow we decided to head back home as we had planned on a days muntjac and fallow stalking in warwick to finish off his visit.
    As with all the best laid plans, we ended up heading for Abergeli instead of stalking in Warwick, to collect a GWP pup he had been after (many thanks 8x57 for the heads up on that one).
    2 blizzards a fallen tree blocking the road and a 100mph dash across Anglesey we finally made it to the ferry for Dublin with 10 minutes to spare.
    3 roe deer, a new GWP pup 2 blizzards and a total of over 800 road miles with less than 6hrs sleep. Hell of a 3 days mate.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Is it just the photo or is that a really big GWP?!

Don't know whether I would go knocking over a doe at this time of year just because she was lame. An animal can be lame one day and fit and well the next.

He is a really big GWP.
    Forgot to add in the OP the front leg had been badly damaged probaly in a RTA.
    Sinbad

well done But have to say where the Rifle lays and is pointing dont look good mate !!!!

Way to go colin good luck with the new pup
    also nice one sinbad

where abouts in warwick were you heading ?
    shot a few deer in that part of the world myself

Hi Stone
    Not a million miles from Hatton mate.
    Point taken SB on rifle position, had been proved empty and as a single shot the breech was open when it was put in place, no excuse though.
    Sinbad

well i just want to say a massive THANK YOU to Sinbad for having me over.He's a true gentleman!I had a brilliant time out stalking with him. He fairly knows his stuff.It was a great place stalk.Lady luck was on my side Everything was thrown at us,blizzards,lashing rain and even fallen trees! have to say i felt like a smurf next to GRIFF, he's massive!
    As for Sinbad not only takin me to great stalking ground he also drove me to collect my pup Mucker, which was and 12hr round trip for him. Thanks a million for that cause she is a wee cracker.
    Definately worth the trip and I will return the favour Sinbad. My first trophy head to start my collection, even if the mrs aint that happy

good write up guys glad it was a good trip another sd succes story regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    Hi Stone
    Not a million miles from Hatton mate.
    Point taken SB on rifle position, had been proved empty and as a single shot the breech was open when it was put in place, no excuse though.
    Sinbad
    no probs mate enjoy your Stalking