Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapons Museum Suhl, Germany

Weapons Museum Suhl, Germany

Hi folks,

Driving back from Hungary, I took a detour to Suhl in Germany to visit the weapons museum. It is excellent. If you like/are interested in Merkel, Sauer, Schmeisser, you name it, then this is a good place to go. When it was still East Germany, the town employed thousands in the firearms industry. Now there is really only Merkel left as a medium size employer. J.P. Sauer, which started in Suhl in 1751 is now hq'd in Eckernfoerde in what used to be W-Germany. Suhl still has quite a few gun smiths?manufactures where you can order custom work. Lovely stuff, really nice. I am so so tempted. Luckily (or not) the shops were closed when I was there.

One part of the exhibition was about the gunsmithing school and their apprenticeship system. It looks a really sound system. There was a little girl (I am old) at the museum who was a apprentice engraver and working on a sideplate. Nice work, not like some of the germanic stuff which can be a bit ott.

Anyway, it's a good place. Go there if you can.
    John

Thanks for that - being a Sauer man, I will do my best to visit the place at some stage!

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Hi folks,

Driving back from Hungary, I took a detour to Suhl in Germany to visit the weapons museum. It is excellent. If you like/are interested in Merkel, Sauer, Schmeisser, you name it, then this is a good place to go. When it was still East Germany, the town employed thousands in the firearms industry. Now there is really only Merkel left as a medium size employer. J.P. Sauer, which started in Suhl in 1751 is now hq'd in Eckernfoerde in what used to be W-Germany. Suhl still has quite a few gun smiths?manufactures where you can order custom work. Lovely stuff, really nice. I am so so tempted. Luckily (or not) the shops were closed when I was there.

One part of the exhibition was about the gunsmithing school and their apprenticeship system. It looks a really sound system. There was a little girl (I am old) at the museum who was a apprentice engraver and working on a sideplate. Nice work, not like some of the germanic stuff which can be a bit ott.

Anyway, it's a good place. Go there if you can.
    John
    Thanks, John

I will try to visit when I next go over to Germany.

I have been reading about Jens Ziegenhahn whom I believe is based there. I would love to get one of their side by side shotguns. I will just have to hope that they are closed when I visit, too!!

With kind regards

Chris.

Sounds more like a destination rather than a stop off. Will deffo visit.

Chris,
    Ziehenhahn & Sohn oHG, Suhler Str. 9, 98544 Zella-Mehlis, Tel. 03682 89 62 -1
    Home: Ziegenhahn Sohn Jagdwaffen e.K.
    Euro 14,500 for a new sbs 20 bore. Not a bad price for a "hand made gun"
    ATB
    John

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Chris,
    Ziehenhahn & Sohn oHG, Suhler Str. 9, 98544 Zella-Mehlis, Tel. 03682 89 62 -1
    Home: Ziegenhahn Sohn Jagdwaffen e.K.
    Euro 14,500 for a new sbs 20 bore. Not a bad price for a "hand made gun"
    ATB
    John

Thanks for the link, John, and for the indication on pricing. Agreed, not an outrageous price.

Another one: Retz und Sohn - Bchsenmachermeister! Feine Jagdgewehre seit 1960
    If anyone is interested, I have a list of local Suhl gunmakers, which I can scan and pm. Not all have websites.

I believe that CG Haenel are still in Suhl.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I believe that CG Haenel are still in Suhl.
    Indeed they are: Suhl Arms Alliance: CG Haenel

Yes they have a web site although it seems to be some sort of "Black Rifle" they produce now. I was thinking of dropping them an e-mail about that Model 303 on the off chance they might still hod some parts.

An internet "Friend" in America has a small collection of Haenel Sporting rifles built on the Mauser Commission 88 action and one ot two are more like works of art. Engraved with inlay. Cannon barrel, half round half octogon, nicely figured walnut. In various calibres too he has them in 8x57J and the later 8x57JS as well as 9x57.