Thread: Brass cases. Malleability and quality.

Brass cases. Malleability and quality.

Has anyone done or found any good research on the different brass cases from different manufacturers?

I'm particularly interested in the quality of the brass and how long it stays malleable for and also the consistency of weights.

I have always used Norma, Lapua or Federal cases. I don't want to go down the route of sorting cases into weights. Interested in anyone elses findings?

Just tried to find a couple of photo's of some brass trimmings from different case manufacturers, probably deleted them ages ago, but they were quite different!, some Lapua, were very soft & malleable giving long curling offcuts, while some Federal /Remmies were more like chips that come off high speed steel spun & cut in a lathe .
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yes. I stopped using federal in favour of Norma and Lapua for this reason.

i use norma for the ,270 and lapua for the .243 (only because the supposedly free norma I was promised didnt materialise!)

the norma is factory once fired (true once fired as I fired it) and the lapua was bought as once fired (but clearly wasnt)

I have loaded some of the norma 7 or 8 times without issue. Not super hot loads but not light by any means.
    The Lapua turned out to have been shot a lot more than once but a quick annealing job by a nice chap in Dundee and they work like a charm.

the Federal, Privi and RWS brass I have loaded just didnt feel as easy to trim, size or clean up as nicely/consistently.

I can't say empiracally this, but I suspect each manufacturer has a unique type of brass used for their casings. I say this only because I have noticed from mixed brass, from the same shooting session, some are more prone to rust/corrosion than other brands. This leads me to believe that manufacturers are using slightly different mixes of "brass" (which can vary widely on ratio's of zinc, copper and other added metals).

Just an observation and hypothesis...

I have bought Lapua brass for pretty much everything now. Just use it and call it good. Ditched every else bar some Norma which is just about as good.

My impression is that Sako brass/ammo is made by Norma, but I could be wrong about that.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I have bought Lapua brass for pretty much everything now. Just use it and call it good. Ditched every else bar some Norma which is just about as good.

My impression is that Sako brass/ammo is made by Norma, but I could be wrong about that.

I also thought Sako was alongside Norma but I can't remember where I got it from.

Any thought/experience with Hornady?

I use nothing but Nosler Custom, for the calibres they make it for, (or have made for them?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

As I understand it, Nosler's brass is made by Norma for most of their calibers...