Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handguns for humane dispatch

Handguns for humane dispatch

Not that i have a need or want one, but ive often wondered on what "good reason" would be needed to secure a pistol for humane dispatch?
    What kind of job do you need & how many deer do you need to be shooting a year to justify one to the local plod?

As i say just curious as ive never come across anybody with a pistol, but alot of guys on here seem to have them.

Dale
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
    Not that i have a need or want one,

Dale
    What's wrong with you man?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    The good reason could and will vary from person to person, issuing constabulary etc...I don't think the number of deer you shoot is relevant, you may shoot 100's or just 10 in a year, but if you can justify it with good reason, then you will get authorised.A full time professional stalking guide may request one for the reason that clients may not always be on the ball with shot placement, but a recreational stalker may request one for the type of ground/forestry they stalk on, or indeed vice versa or a mixture of both the above.I'd rather be in the have and not need than need and not have, a bit like house insurance I supppose !! I can think of a couple of times I wish I had one, I would have ensured the carcass came home with me and the deer didn't die under a tree/bush somewhere.TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

REMEMBER ALSO MANY FORCES IMPOSE THE CONDITION OF PISTOLS BEING REDUCED TO 2 SHOTS ONLY, RATHER LIKE THE RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED ON SEMI AUTO SHOTGUNS FROM 5 TO 3, I'VE HELD A 5 SHOT AUTO FOR OVER 30 YEARS LEGALY. PERSONALY WOULD CONSIDER A LEVER ACTION RIFLE FOR FOLLOW UP IF NEEDED, HOWEVER ALL MY CLIENTS HAVE AS YET GIVEN ME NO CONCERN OR NEED FOR ONE. deerwarden.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    PERSONALY WOULD CONSIDER A LEVER ACTION RIFLE FOR FOLLOW UP IF NEEDED
    Damn it now I want one

I spoke about this with my FAO recently during my renewal visit.
    Neither of us could come up with a reasonable justification for one.
    For instance say you wounded a Deer and it went into the undergrowth, in order to use the pistol you would have to go in after it now if you can fit through then so can the rifle in which case take the rifle with you.

been there , had one and used it half a dozen times and sold it !

you think you want one , jump through all the whoops the law put in your way get one and then you realise i dont really need one after all .

well thats what i found .

Well pro-stalkers, deer park management perhaps and the humane destruction of livestock are 'good reason' but I wouldn't want a pistol unless it was moderated. Can you see the look on the FEO's face when you ask for that on health and safety grounds....

have thought about a cut down .410 s/g for humane dispatch of snared fox's and roadside casualties any thoughts on that guys while we are at it. sorry to barge in mid thead

A lot of people think they need one but actually they dont. As leec6.5 rightly says, people jump through all the hoops then a couple of years down the line wonder why they ever bothered. Many get them just so they can say they have got one, may be a macho thing...... There may be the odd time that a pistol would be useful but in my opinion the job can usually be sorted with a weapon already possessed. Someone who is doing a lot of RTA work would perhaps benefit, the average recriational stalker doesnt really need one. I know pro stalkers who shoot 300-500 deer per year who dont bother with them.....

M