Thread: Sako open sight removal.

Sako open sight removal.

hi guys,

I need to remove the old open sight from my rifle, to allow me to fit a scope.

At present i would require very high mounts to fit the glass, as the rear open sight is in the way.

How is it done?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sako.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	971.9 KB 
ID:	14697

Is it just a case of drilling the caps off the 2 steel dowels in the ramp, removing the ramp, and then cutting the dowels down flush with the barrel? or is there a little more to it than this?

nathan

Not sure which model do you have? the sights both rear and fore on my Sako A11 were held on by small screws
    so easily removed.

Why don't you look up the exploded view on the Sako website. There is a section on old models with exploded parts lists including drawings.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Not sure which model do you have? the sights both rear and fore on my Sako A11 were held on by small screws
    so easily removed.
    It's a sako A1, and no sign of screws in the rear sight ramp.

some of them for some reason had the open sights soft soldered in place as did some of the BRNO rifles. Do you have a good and capable gunsmith locally, a little bit of heat and generally they will come off with a gentle tap with a small hammer, usually a thin film of the solder will be left which can be remove with very fine emery cloth, the blacking looks a bit thin and worn, if you really like the rifle it would be worth a new lippy and eyeshadow treat. I have a couple of old Sakos of this model and rate them very highly.
    Brora 260

Quote Originally Posted by BRORA260 View Post
    some of them for some reason had the open sights soft soldered in place as did some of the BRNO rifles. Do you have a good and capable gunsmith locally, a little bit of heat and generally they will come off with a gentle tap with a small hammer, usually a thin film of the solder will be left which can be remove with very fine emery cloth, the blacking looks a bit thin and worn, if you really like the rifle it would be worth a new lippy and eyeshadow treat. I have a couple of old Sakos of this model and rate them very highly.
    Brora 260
    Thanks for that.

At present i just want to get some glass fitted so i can find out how it shoots before considering any cosmetic work.

Am a bit confused here as to why the base needs to be removed to fit a scope. Most mounts surely would clear this especially as it's quite a ways forward of the action.

Or have you raided NASA for Hubble's twin?

The bases are silver soldered on.

Apply heat over base sparingly with blowtorch, you will see silver solder sweat line appear around base, the base can then be tapped off or removed with pliers.

It will be hot, do not touch it.....

It will leave a oblong shaped witness mark, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Am a bit confused here as to why the base needs to be removed to fit a scope. Most mounts surely would clear this especially as it's quite a ways forward of the action.

Or have you raided NASA for Hubble's twin?
    he he he,,,that's what I thought, that must be some scope!

Not really I have a 3-10x50 on my Sako A11 with optiloc mid height mounts base has been removed and scope only just clears.