Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB case in Scotland

TB case in Scotland

Dear All

Sorry to report Scotland is no longer TB free.

Watch out for the differences between TB and Para-TB (Yonis)

Peter

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...ca696359406f2a

Yes I heard at the end of last month. Didn't know when the information became public. I am not very surprised. With the trade of cattle between Scotland and Northern Ireland I expect we will have brucellosis back before too long.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

And that particular herd has been a closed herd for 24 years.

My Suspicious Nature
    Guess where the tb has turned up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    And that particular herd has been a closed herd for 24 years.
    this is my understanding too , one of the farms i shoot on was tested last week (negative) as he had bought cows from this chap

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    My Suspicious Nature
    Guess where the tb has turned up?
    I'm sure Apache will confirm with a full description of the pathology of TB, but... Your link reminds us of a curious event (unexplained), possibly a wild animal release, in the general vicinity of the current TB outbreak, which you saw on 14/02/2012. Too recent to be the likely source., I'd think.

However, we too see regular "releases" in this district, if they are foxes we kill them (usually quite easily and within a few days of release) as they tend to arrive here as poor lean things, often recovering from injury, starvation and mange infestation and though they may have been treated for every known disease (which, of course we just do not know) they are also "City" foxes and have neither territory out here nor the skills to fend for themselves properly in the "wild" until they establish territory, they'd rather raid out bins too.

This case is fairly interesting. As already said the info I have is that this has been a closed herd for 24 years. I used to shoot this farm many years ago and I know that at the time they had pigs, whether that is still the case I am not sure. These cattle will have been in all winter so it probably lessens the possible point of contact for the disease. Badgers are rife on the farm and in the general area but it would appear that only this herd has been effected. There are a few wild deer and there is a deer farm within five miles.
    Perhaps Apache could comment on this. What is the likelyhood of transmission through contamination in bought in straw or this being a dairy herd, vehicles that have been unlifting milk from other farms.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    This case is fairly interesting. As already said the info I have is that this has been a closed herd for 24 years. I used to shoot this farm many years ago and I know that at the time they had pigs, whether that is still the case I am not sure. These cattle will have been in all winter so it probably lessens the possible point of contact for the disease. Badgers are rife on the farm and in the general area but it would appear that only this herd has been effected. There are a few wild deer and there is a deer farm within five miles.
    Perhaps Apache could comment on this. What is the likelyhood of transmission through contamination in bought in straw or this being a dairy herd, vehicles that have been unlifting milk from other farms.
    Since Bovine tb can infect people, the spread of infection by people seems to be a growing concern.

IF I've got this right the case in point here is next to Bathgate, it would be interesting to know if the doctors of Bathgate are treating any patients with tb. I would expect that the authorities will be looking into that one, at least I hope they are.

Yet another possible problem from this our new "right to roam" laws, i.e. the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003??? Perhaps!

How can anyone possibly provide "on-farm" Bio-security in the face of such an ill conceived and pernicious piece of legislation?

Infected people spreading the disease to cattle?? Not sure if this can happen.

It's "zoonotic" - usually infects the other way, but is transmissible from humans.