Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpies - slow progress?

Magpies - slow progress?

Just wondered how you were getting on with the Larsen traps this year. I have had mine out for about three weeks and caught 20 Magpies and 2 Crows, but they seem hard work this year. Has anyone else found this and/or got any theories why they are harder to catch some years?

I started off with a hen call bird which no use at all.

we have done quite well for magpies but only got a crow decoy bird last week trade with that has been slow but the weather has been so cold and wet hope for some sunshine then things may improve

ive had 102 magpies but only 9 carrions , crows didnt start going in until i started feeding the decoys cracked pheasant eggs . The decoys have 2 tin cans , 1 full of water the other full of mixed bird seed , they also have the odd pigeon or squirrel for food . I moved my traps every day , magpies like a bit of cover and will go in a trap pushed deep in a thorn bush cows want a bit of space round a trap . If you make your own traps build them a bit bigger for crows , if their a bit slow going in could be someone in the area has left a dead bird in a trap

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    cows want a bit of space round a trap.
    They also want a bit more space inside...........

Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

had a good season with mine, got four on the go ,caught loads of doubles and alot of crows in the magpie traps ,all mine are top entry ,havent sussed out best way for trap door on the side entry models,any sugestions?

Thanks for the replies, I follow your logic Trouble but have just found them slow going for some reason. I am yet to catch a really strong Cock bird which i always think helps. I will start on the Crows next week when i get my second trap back from a neighbour.

Arron as Trouble stated a larger trap is a good idea for Crows and side entry do seem to catch more. If you are making one i would suggest that the door closes to the centre of the trap and hinges on the edge. Just be certain to not make the door the full height of the side panel, this gives the pegs space to fall away from the door and not jam it open. Very annoying.

Side entry traps are also better for catching Fox cubs and Cats .

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    They also want a bit more space inside...........

They need room to mooove.

not got round the whole farm yet but slow too and has been for a few yrs now ......good ,i too use a tin for food but a 2 pint plastic milk bottle with a whole half way up for the bird to drink from and a whole just under the handle on the back to fill ,leave lid on so it cant sh=t in the bottle ,cable tie in place through handle .

I find they are catching when it warms up slightly.
    Not sure wether they are feeling more territorial perhaps ?
    Had about 30 magpies and 15 crows so far, same old story though the bu*gers soon move back in. Then again its clearing somewhere else up.

Had a lad that help out on weekends and school holidays made some more traps up, two top and a side, no hope for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    had a good season with mine, got four on the go ,caught loads of doubles and alot of crows in the magpie traps ,all mine are top entry ,havent sussed out best way for trap door on the side entry models,any sugestions?
    if its a wooden trap , when the door opens the back edge opens inwards , cut a nut stick that runs from corner to corner inside the trap , notch it so it catches the back edge of the door , your crow is inside the trap befor jumping on the trigger . You can do it with wire traps but need to cable tie a wire rod on the dottom of the door , hope that makes sence