Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 wmr zero yardage

.22 wmr zero yardage

Hi Guys

Any ideas on the zero range for the .22 WMR

I was looking at 75 yds for bull ?

After talking to a couple of guys who have had them they say 100 metres +

Looking to get a dedicated POA as the rifle is new and needs settling in, ammo wise remington ? and I think hornady do a 32 grn round not sure, starting look around now

I would be happy ith 75 yds as long as it flat and accurate, something to work off of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATB
    Phil

its a 100yd round IMO
    I zero WMR, HMR and .17M2 all at 100yds
    I zero .22lr at 50

with WMR 40gr if you zero at 100yds you have a less than 2" MPBR out to 125yds (thats a deviation of no more than 1" high and 1" low of the POA line in case that is not clear.

5" drop at 150 so watch the last 30yds!

I would zero an inch high at 100 yards. The round is capable out to 125 yards or so. Drops off like a stone after that.

I seem to remember mine is 5-6" low at 150 yards with a 100 yard zero with the 40gr HP ammo.

The 30 and 33gr grain BT's are a fair bit better.

Much better round than that bloody HMR.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks Guys greatly appreciated

Have sourced 32 grn BT, in Remmy and Hornady, will be giving those two a trial. 100 yds is a good distance

17 HMR has now gone, had it quite a while for bunny bashing, WMR is a lot more stable, completely new type of shooting, Pick it up next week.

ATB

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Much better round than that bloody HMR.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I sight mine in at 125 yards with the 40 grain. This means that you must hold a tad low (1", depending on your scope height) at 75 yards but you are only 3" low at 150. The "hold under" idea takes a bit of getting used to but it works well. For instance, I will set a rabbit's head on top of the cross hair at 75 yards instead of holding dead on. Works for me and yes, it is a lot better than the HMR.~Muir

Phillip , wait till you use it on foxes , you might get the odd runner but if its tail goes straight up in the air you havent missed , its dead running . Its a great round , way better than the hmr

Rifle action is not ready until end of month, barrels has arrived, .22 LR and .22 WMR, not long to wait now

Was going to slap a 1.5 - 6 x 42 S&B Zenith illuminated on it with hold over, hopefully this will be the ideal scope as it won't be a range plugger, probably will keep to 120 yds as a max, scope hopefully will do the business from 20 through to 120 yds, needs to be accurate at all ranges with that extra bit of punch should be perfick. had considered the Pulsar N550 IR, I tried one and it seemed a bit of faffing about for what you get, back to S&B and a laser lamp. that set up works lovely on the .22 LR and .223 at the moment.

Thanks for your help guys
    Great site this for experience and sound advice.

ATB
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Thanks Guys greatly appreciated

Have sourced 32 grn BT, in Remmy and Hornady, will be giving those two a trial. 100 yds is a good distance

17 HMR has now gone, had it quite a while for bunny bashing, WMR is a lot more stable, completely new type of shooting, Pick it up next week.

ATB

Phil
    JAYB and I have knocked off rabbits at considerable distance with Remington "Premier" 33 grain V-Max rounds. They aren't the fastest, but they have a good ballistic coefficient and kill very well. I had some issues with CCI's 30 grain V Max. I set up some identical shots on comparable sized rabbits one winter and I either got complete penetration or none at all. There was no telling the results despite precise shot placement at measured distances. The results of shooting better than a dozen rabbits has cooled me on them. My favorite (and I've mentioned this numerous times) is the Federal "Classic" 30 grain HP. In 80 F degree heat it delivers 2350 fps from my CZ and will cut a cottontail rabbit in half at 90 yards. I hit a rabbit with it at 25 yards down in the desert and the.... result.... was so spectacular it prompted my son to venture that it was the most gruesome bullet impact he'd ever witnessed. It was memorable, I'll admit. When it absolutely, positively, has to be killed, the Federal are my Number one choice.~Muir

PS: And don't discount the Federal/CCI 40 grain TMJ. Excellent round with unwavering accuracy.

not so much of a range on sale over here.
    certainly not where I purchase
    CCI is the leader for some reason.

would love to try the 30gr VMax though