Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So - Where Are All The Foxes?

So - Where Are All The Foxes?

Over the last 18 days I've shot one fox, and seen maybe two more, in spite of being out almost every night. Over the 18 days before that I shot nine, and saw several others. 11 went down over the 18 days before that.

I wouldn't mind, but I must have gained the best part of 1,000 acres of new permissions (where no-one else shoots) over that time, so it's not as though I've killed all the foxes already. I've also been using every trick in the book - calling with well-proven methods, baiting, stalking into the wind, etc, etc. I use thermal imaging and high-end night vision equipment, so if there were any foxes about I'd have seen them, even if they were far too far away to shoot. The crops are still low enough for me to see them - but I've barely seen any.

So - there must be a rationale behind it. Clearly the vixens with pups are still below ground, but the dogs and 'helpers' won't be allowed in with them yet. We've had an unseasonably cold spell, so my best hypothesis is that the dogs were able to bury a lot of food during the warm weather we had in the run-up to the pups being born, and now they're simply digging it up rather than going off hunting.

Anyone else got any ideas?

hey paddy i think they heard that you got permission to shoot on a new patch of ground and with the toys you got they decided to move into the bright lights of the nearest town and forage from dustbins.but dont worry it will only take a few weeks til the local fox loving white van man will bring them back to you we had a few dropped round here so i was told happy hunting chap

Quote Originally Posted by devonfoxer View Post
    hey paddy i think they heard that you got permission to shoot on a new patch of ground and with the toys you got they decided to move into the bright lights of the nearest town and forage from dustbins.but dont worry it will only take a few weeks til the local fox loving white van man will bring them back to you we had a few dropped round here so i was told happy hunting chap
    Ha, ha - I was moaning about this earlier today to one of the farmers I shoot for. He said the same thing - word's got out to all the foxes and they've moved off elsewhere...

give west hatch a ring chap perhaps they could drop a few off lol

Talking about cubs I came across a good sized cub a couple of nights back. Unfortunately for him he had been struck by a vehicle and was lying injured in the centre of the road. Obviously some are already out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Talking about cubs I came across a good sized cub a couple of nights back. Unfortunately for him he had been struck by a vehicle and was lying injured in the centre of the road. Obviously some are already out and about.
    Yes, we saw one that had been hit by a car last week - but it was on lower ground on the other side of Exeter. Up here on the higher areas they don't seem to be out yet - but I'm sure it won't be long now.

still a bit early yet , most vixens are still laid with them , give it a couple of weeks and theyll be popping up like mushrooms

Same here where i shoot not shot 1 in 2weeks yet 3 wks ago shot 12 in 3 nights all dogs.So tonight iv'e been out Ratting.atb Ed

well you can all get on the train!
    judging by the amount of crap on my deck they all seem to have moved into my garden!!!

As with all wild creatures it depends where you are. With foxes it also depends on how many people are after them.
    Late winter and early spring are when wildlife in general, but rabbits and foxes in particular are at their lowest population levels. In the case of rabbits already the signs of regeneration are to be seen but it will be a while before fox numbers will be swelled by the cubs.
    If you look at the numbers of foxes most of us shoot it doesn't take too many litters before they will be up to last years numbers. Six breeding vixens left on your patch will produce a couple of dozen cubs, if you are shooting thats a lot of foxes to get rid of in the coming year.
    If you shoot large numbers then this time of year they will always be thin on the ground