Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confidence in Police

Confidence in Police

Looking at the SACS website HOME - - SACS the level of service by the police is not very good! As it stands 81% rate it Very poor!

Who thinks this is acceptable?

It is not acceptable but i certainly think we get a good service but it seems if you are getting you keep quite if your not then its moan and the moans are all thats heard.

+1 with 6 pointer, who thanks them, as said most people nowadays make a point of moaning about things, and seldom make a point of praising them or even saying thank-you when they get it right, which they do for the greater percentage, and 81% is the greater percentage. I work for a responding organization and we are governed by the government in what we do, that should say it all. deerwarden

I think that the poll actually gives excellent to very poor options, the results so far either indicate that the service that the shooting community receives is very poor or that those who believe otherwise are too apathetic to vote, therefore the democratic conclusion must be that the results stand, any firearms departments observing the poll please take note! atb Tim

They all do hard, honest and completely redundant work

Agree that 81% thinking they are getting a poor service is not good but so far only 1470 people have botherd to vote.

Can only say I receive excellent service from my firearms department.

they have a thankless task.
    that said confidence is regional.
    Whilst they all make their mistakes I think the system is crap and to be blamed for its fare share of the problems.

a lot more could be automated. more of it could be spread through the year.
    Give the Firearms manager more freedom to make judgement calls of the easy stuff. (The Chief Constable need not be involved in one for ones, round allowance, obvious calibre swaps etc, which would speed things up)

Some continuity within each force would help never mind inter-force.
    An agreement on terminology would be nice!

I have had numerous different derivations of .22 and .17 calibres on my FAC. even the RFD's dont follow it!
    AOLQ should be the de facto setting on open certificates.

if they would like to get in touch I can solve all their problems for a meagre daily rate....

I think th figures shown do not reflect an accurate picture.

As Bogtrotter has said, less than 1500 people have responded and in Scotland, between SGC and FAC, there were almost 80,000 issued in 2010 in Scotland.

And to touch on the Insurance debate regarding SACS in General Discussion, maybe the members polled are indeed from throughout the UK and not mainly in Scotland.

Most complaints regarding the Firearms Liscensing relate to "turnaround times" and all Scottish Forces perform very well when compared to some of the Forces south of the Border

I do suspect that apathy plays a part with most who have no issues with their Licensing Dept not taking part

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    I think th figures shown do not reflect an accurate picture.

As Bogtrotter has said, less than 1500 people have responded and in Scotland, between SGC and FAC, there were almost 80,000 issued in 2010 in Scotland.

And to touch on the Insurance debate regarding SACS in General Discussion, maybe the members polled are indeed from throughout the UK and not mainly in Scotland.

Most complaints regarding the Firearms Liscensing relate to "turnaround times" and all Scottish Forces perform very well when compared to some of the Forces south of the Border

I do suspect that apathy plays a part with most who have no issues with their Licensing Dept not taking part
    I disagree, I think that the poll is an accurate reflection on what the shooting community thinks of police firearms departments across the UK.

IMO the biggest cause of complaint are the chief of polices discretionary "additional conditions" which seem to be used routinely rather than exceptionally as stated in the Home Office Guidance.

It would appear that they are being used to add whole new clauses to the Firearms Act without the bother of parliamentary debate and vote, and of course following a test case there is apparently no legal right of appeal.
    atb Tim

Tim,
    You may be right. I should have been specific and said that in Scotland, the issue was with the turnaround times.
    My understanding is also that up here we do not routinely have conditions such as mentoring and FAC being "closed" on initial granting.
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I disagree, I think that the poll is an accurate reflection on what the shooting community thinks of police firearms departments across the UK.

IMO the biggest cause of complaint are the chief of polices discretionary "additional conditions" which seem to be used routinely rather than exceptionally as stated in the Home Office Guidance.

It would appear that they are being used to add whole new clauses to the Firearms Act without the bother of parliamentary debate and vote, and of course following a test case there is apparently no legal right of appeal.
    atb Tim