Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouping when shooting off sticks?

Arrow Grouping when shooting off sticks?

Hello Gents,

Been out today for some practice and just wondered what accuracy you get when shooting off sticks?

I used my Tikka T3 .243 and factory Federal 100 grainers and have set zero for 1" high at 100yds

Results below from prone @ 100yds using a harris bipod and lying in a field (not off bench or bags):

Comparison reults below from my tripod sticks @ 100yds, you can see the group opens out quite a bit:

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how you find shooting off sticks affects your accuracy & any wee tips out there (apart from more practice!)

Cheers

Rigboot

Rigboot you will never well I think get the same grouping off sticks as you will shooting prone. To be honest if you were heart shooting roe with any of the shots from the second group they would have been dead. I was told to be confident, concise and not hang about when you are about to take beast of sticks. I practised using my .22 and shooting at small 1" circles, then for the Deer calibre I would shoot rabbits in the head at 100yds. Both gave me great confidence.

ATB
    Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Rigboot you will never well I think get the same grouping off sticks as you will shooting prone. To be honest if you were heart shooting roe with any of the shots from the second group they would have been dead. I was told to be confident, concise and not hang about when you are about to take beast of sticks. I practised using my .22 and shooting at small 1" circles, then for the Deer calibre I would shoot rabbits in the head at 100yds. Both gave me great confidence.

ATB
    Nutty
    Hi Nutty

I agree its difficult to replicate prone shots with sticks & yes its still deer in the larder at the end of the day but this is one of the better practice days of sticks I've had for a while.

I also do the same as you re: practice with the .22 rimfire which I found helped no ends when first starting out.

I'm just interested to see what kind of grouping people generally get off sticks I suppose.

Thanks

Rb

Nowt wrong with that for a group off sticks. I would expect about 2" off sticks and I do a lot of Fox and Rabbit shooting off sticks. I only use bipod sticks as I cant get on with tripods. there are some good tutorials on youtube that will help but practice is key. Make sure your sticks are long enough, dont lean over to much (you need to be comfortable) dont try to eliminate all your wobble, you will just get tired and wobble more. Try and put all your movement in one plane (I start below the target and move slowly up through it then squeeze the trigger when the sight picture looks good). I like to practice with the 22 on empty cartridge cases but I do it by walking toward the target, stopping, deploy sticks and shoot as oposed to standing there dialing off 10 rounds without moving as this doesn't practice getting into position.

Ezzy

My grouping off sticks was always pretty poor so this season I decided to practise a little bit just for confidence and it was amazing the progress I made in a very short time.

What I found was that it worked best not to practise too much, little and often seems to suit me. So I'd put up on of those big black 8 inch shoot'n'see targets and maybe fire 2 shots sitting, 2 kneeling and 2 standing at 100 off sticks and if one position was doing OK for me then I'd go back to 200 and maybe just fire 2 standing and call it a day. Anything in the 8 inch target is a dead deer so that helps with the confidence as you will probably find all your shots, even from 200 yards, are in the black. Once you get them all in the black then you can practise until the groups start getting smaller and are all within, say, the 8 ring and so slowly work your way smaller.

I find shooting off sticks at 200, which is pretty much an extreme distance for a shot at a deer for me, also helps with the confidence as I know it is unlikely that I will take a 200 yard shot at deer off sticks so if I'm doing well at 200 then I know that a 100 yard deer should be "easy." When i come to shoot at a 100 yard deer I try to keep this fact in my mind and I think it is a useful confidence boost.

I've found that sitting just doesn't suit me at all and I can rarely get it to work also kneeling is a little higher for seeing over heather or ditches so I'm tending more towards the kneeling. I still try the sitting now and again but the results aren't pretty.

When standing someone from this forum suggested attaching some stout string to the top of the sticks and then standing on this and holding it under tension while shooting. It doesn't sound like it will help, but it certainly worked for me and gave me the confidence to start improving my standing shots.

i would of said that was tidy shooting off sticks mate,i am not happy shooting off them,mine has 2 legs,i have tried 3 legged ones and they are way more stable

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    Hello Gents,

Been out today for some practice and just wondered what accuracy you get when shooting off sticks?

I used my Tikka T3 .243 and factory Federal 100 grainers and have set zero for 1" high at 100yds

Results below from prone @ 100yds using a harris bipod and lying in a field (not off bench or bags):

Comparison reults below from my tripod sticks @ 100yds, you can see the group opens out quite a bit:

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how you find shooting off sticks affects your accuracy & any wee tips out there (apart from more practice!)

Cheers

Rigboot
    Nowt wrong with those groups RB. If everyone could achieve that everytime there would be plenty of happy chappies and chapesses.
    It's accuracy that kills.

pretty good group,i no it doesnt happen much when shooting of sticks but if i can i try to place my leg or upper body against a solid object like a tree ,wall or similare, but like i said it doesnt happen much.

Them deer will still be dead. Paper is really unforgiving and can lead to sapping confidence. I only shoot off a bag on the bonnet of the 4x4 when zeroing and use bipod sticks in woodland.

never tried a group though.

Nowt wrong with that !

If you are shooting like this consistely off sticks then I would be chuffed with that.

That grouping is killing every time in the engine room

ATB

CVK