Thread: Scottish Wildcat on Stealth Cam

Scottish Wildcat on Stealth Cam

Attachment 14772

A friend of mine has had varying degrees of success with his stealth cams at capturing images of wildcats. This is the first real success he has had in daylight. The cat apparently ignored the pheasant bait laid out to attract it though...

Cracking pic!! Only ever seen them in avimore in captivity. Going to have to get me a couple of them stealth cam's.
    FS25

looks like a normal tommy-cat. then again, I've never seen a wildcat, I would have thought they were much bigger, like Puma's.

I popped a thread up before an it caused a bit of a debate about whether it was a true wildcat or not.

This one is taken in the same area as the last. My mate sent the pictures he had off to two separate recognised experts on wildcats and asked for their opinion on whether it was a wildcat or not. Both of them responded by saying that they were satisfied it was indeed a wildcat based on the images they had to study but absolute certainty could only be established with DNA which would obviously not be possible.

Slightly bigger than a tom cat and much bushier tail,should be no white on them

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    looks like a normal tommy-cat. then again, I've never seen a wildcat, I would have thought they were much bigger, like Puma's.

+1 also their pads should be black and not have pink on them

Cross wild/ferals do at times have pink areas on pads tho

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Slightly bigger than a tom cat and much bushier tail,should be no white on them

thats a beeler,ringed fluffeyy tail and the double tummy,deadly wee bugger,he must have heard the click of the camera there when he turned round,good show very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Attachment 14772

A friend of mine has had varying degrees of success with his stealth cams at capturing images of wildcats. This is the first real success he has had in daylight. The cat apparently ignored the pheasant bait laid out to attract it though...

Once saw a stuffed one (from many years ago nobody get excited) and they do look quite different to a domestic cat in terms on the fur pattern, size and general appearance. With hindsight I should have taken a picture then everyone would know what a real one looks like.....

The 2 wild cats that I have seen both at close quarters had a chunkier face than a domestic cat were larger bodied and had thick black bands round a thicker tail. The first was about 10 yards away sunning itself on a log before it looked straight at me and moved off. West side of Loch Long on forestry track, second on the way through forestry tracks to The Cobbler just at the tree line at a slightly greater distance and wandered off. On both occasions I was on a garron leading SYHA pony trekkers in the early 60s.