Thread: Wiltshire Police Firearms Department

Wiltshire Police Firearms Department

I'm not generally one to pat someone on their back for doing what they are paid to do but.........

Case 1 - My Wife wanted to start shooting so in went the SG application; 7 days later she was being interviewed and within 2 weeks of the initial application being posted she had her first certificate in hand!

Case 2 - I started stalking, in went the FA application with coterminous SG application, 2 weeks later interview completed and 36 hours later I had my ticket in hand!!

I am more than aware that many Firearms Departments have a bad reputation (some justifiably I think), but credit where it's due; Wiltshire Police should well be considered for an award, I have never heard a bad word against them. They operate a drop-in service for some variations and certificate changes, the staff will even stay in the office to personally give you your certificate (my FEO stayed in when the desk closed as I couldn't get there before closing).

I think a few other forces department should go in for some cross-force training and see how it's done, maybe then licensing would be in a better place than it currently is.

If anyone else has had an exceptional service from Wilts then please follow my lead and write to the Chief Constable expressing your appreciation.

Hi Shep, If you do a search on this site you will find praise to high heaven for the Wilts department.
    I think I hold the record so far, for a variation of two shotguns and two rifles off and a variation to acquire another rifle of a different calibre and spare barrel = eleven minutes !!!
    Renewal of co-terminous FAC and SGC with additions and alterations = six weeks and that was during the run up to Christmas and with me being out of the country for two weeks.
    They really know their stuff.

Great service there, should be the benchmark for others to aspire to!

having lived in Wilts for 12 years I am not surprised that they get so much praise. They are deffinatly the bench mark for all other police F.A. departments.
    Begs the question why other authorities cannot speak to them to improve thier service.
    Tusker
    Last edited by tusker; 21-04-2012 at 15:35. Reason: spelling

Sorry to burst a little bubble,but,a friend that is also on this forum put a variation in for a moderator for his .222cal,and the FEO asked him if he ever takes his .243cal out for foxes,and when he said yes the FEO said that by doing so he was committing an offence! And get this.....it is(sic) an offence because the .222 is a dedicated fox rifle,and even though he has fox written on the FAC for both rifles this is still the case.I have never heard anything quite so stupid considering he has fox down for both.....have you? Oh,this was also in Wilts.

Martin

Hi Martin, This friend of yours did he tell you exactly what was said ? as I have both .222 and .243 and .308 and 30-06 on my FC from Wilts, for foxes so I don't understand what your friend was telling you.
    If it was on his FC for his .243 to be used for fox then why would the FEO not be able to read it/know it was there and then say such a stupid thing.
    Something doesn't sound correct to me.

All this good vibes regarding wilts fire ams department make me want to move 15 minutes up the road. The misses dosnt think it's a good reason to move so it wont happen. How can two counties so close together be so different. I abandoned the idea of putting in a veriation as I don't want to wait three months+. I believe Dorset is pretty good too.

surely if he has it listed on his certificate for fox it cant be an offense for him to go out an used the said rifle on a fox, or is it?? something doesnt sound quite right.
    Last edited by AndrewT059; 22-04-2012 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Martin, This friend of yours did he tell you exactly what was said ? as I have both .222 and .243 and .308 and 30-06 on my FC from Wilts, for foxes so I don't understand what your friend was telling you.
    If it was on his FC for his .243 to be used for fox then why would the FEO not be able to read it/know it was there and then say such a stupid thing.
    Something doesn't sound correct to me.
    Hi Eddie,the FEO was there with him and he had read the FAC for himself,all I can think is that his interpretation of the law means that if you have asked for a .222 for foxes then that is what you should actually take out with you if you are going out for foxes.And if you are going out with the .243 for foxes then he says that is wrong as he has a 'dedicated' fox rifle.I personally think he is a very mixed up person because if you have fox on any rifle then there isn't a court in the land that would find against you for using it.....that is just my opinion though.

Martin

Hi Martin,
    Yes it certainly sounds a strange situation/interpretation.
    The only thing I can think of is that they got crossed wires when talking because it doesn't make sense does it.
    Perhaps the Tea and Choccy Biscuits made the FEO a bit muddled