Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: foxing scope

foxing scope

hi lads im just thinking of a foxing scope for my 223 i like fixed magnification scopes and im thinking of the schmidt and bender 8 x 56 ( i already have a 6x 42 and very impressed by it ) my main concern is would it be enough magnification for daytime foxing to 300 yards max?

many thanks , jim

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I don't think the magnification (Fixed 8x56) would be a major concern, I'd look for a nice fine reticule to make sure you can actually see a fox at 300 without obscuring it completly?

I know some manufacturers have a Plex reticule, which I have looked through and found it's to thick.......but this varied form manufacturer to manufacturer.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

yeah that was one of my concerns as schmidt dont seem to do a really fine recticule on the 8 x 56 model

The A7 ret on the S&B is nearly perfect I would have thought.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

thats good news to me! are any of you lads using an 8 x 56 for foxing id love to hear of your experiance with it?

I have two i use for foxing, one on .17fireball and the other on .22-250.

Would i recomend them ? too right they are ideal no messing point and press. As for range i have shot foxes out to just under 300m at night with the .22-250 and longest at night with the .17 was 240m .

I often shoot crows with the .17 at 3-400m in the day.

If i wanted to spend more on a scope that do's the same then it would be Swarovski 8X50 but these are now discontinued although t have one on a stalking rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    I have two i use for foxing, one on .17fireball and the other on .22-250.

Would i recomend them ? too right they are ideal no messing point and press. As for range i have shot foxes out to just under 300m at night with the .22-250 and longest at night with the .17 was 240m .

I often shoot crows with the .17 at 3-400m in the day.

If i wanted to spend more on a scope that do's the same then it would be Swarovski 8X50 but these are now discontinued although t have one on a stalking rifle.
    thanks splash what recticule do you have is it the a7?

Have a Hungarian 8 x 56 a7 ret, on my 223 perfect for me ( had variables and always fiddling i am) take foxes to 200 yard but no further yet and does exactly what its meant too, no no nonsense good quality glass ( have the 6x42 on my .22-again superb)

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    Have a Hungarian 8 x 56 a7 ret, on my 223 perfect for me ( had variables and always fiddling i am) take foxes to 200 yard but no further yet and does exactly what its meant too, no no nonsense good quality glass ( have the 6x42 on my .22-again superb)
    thanks thats good to hear , how is it for close up stuff being 8x magnification?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    thanks thats good to hear , how is it for close up stuff being 8x magnification?
    I shot a vixen on Wednesday night at about 35yds with mine. I have a7 ret 8x56 on all my rifles.