Clean antlers

monynut

Myself and the o/h was out for a go on the roe does this evening, l stalked into a group of roe which had 2 nice bucks in it as l got into a shooting position l noticed the bucks were having a bit of a spare with each other as l was after the does l did not take much notice of them but l did notice that 1 of them was clean and in hard antler, a very good 6 pointer.

I have seen them in hard antler by early march before but l cant remember seeing them this early, has anybody else seen any mature bucks in hard antler yet.

I have not seen a buck but, I have seen the young trees that have received a good hiding during the cleaning process. I took this photo last week. I am hoping to see the buck early on in April :evil:
DSC00006.jpg

It was one of dozens of young trees that had been battered. Considering this is in the Highlands, I thought it was early.

John

Yep, for me never seen them clean before March - that's from Salisbury Plain to Inverness-shire. Was he very old do you think?

nickjackson said:
Yep, for me never seen them clean before March - that's from Salisbury Plain to Inverness-shire. Was he very old do you think?

The animal was certainly middle aged judging by his appearance, l was out again this morning and again stalked into a group of roe in a different part of the estate and dropped 2 does in the group and another nice beast came up to one of the downed does he was almost clean.

Last year I saw a fully clean buck in mid February on my patch in Central Fife. He wasn't long clean but It's certainly the earliest I've ever seen one before.

R.H.

I shot a gold category buck in march and he still had soft tips ain't that a bastard :lol: :lol: :lol:

VELVET.jpg

Back