Thread: Lamping rabbits

Lamping rabbits

Hi folks,

What is the law with regard to lamping rabbits with a rimfire? Do you need to apply for a license to shoot at night?

Thanks.

Not yet, give it time

No license needed to shoot rabbits at night as opposed to daylight. Hares are classed as ground game as opposed to vermin so technically you could be in the wrong if you shoot one by mistake.

hi mungo
    no you don't need a night license for lamping rabbits as long as you have a firearms license and permission to use the rifle on the ground your lamping on and that is it but it is wise to get insurance like basc or the countryside alliance or the ngo just to name a few, it is also wise to no your ground don't just go lamping the ground if you have never walked it by day pays to be safe mate hope this helps

cheers joneah243

Thanks folks. I thought that was the case, but pays to make sure.

Joneah - I know all about making sure you know your ground! Some years ago I thought knew better, and then spent an increasingly bewildered 3 hours very, very lost when lamping on a neighbours farm. Ended fine when I more or less stumbled onto a road I recognised. Went back the next day to retrace steps, and realised I'd never been more than about 100m from my car the whole evening. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    No license needed to shoot rabbits at night as opposed to daylight. Hares are classed as ground game as opposed to vermin so technically you could be in the wrong if you shoot one by mistake.
    Don't you have ground game on ticket then..BTW Sundays and christmas day as well hares that is

Quote Originally Posted by grogblossom View Post
    Don't you have ground game on ticket then..BTW Sundays and christmas day as well hares that is
    Yes I have ground game as a condition but the legalaties of shooting hares at night are very different. The OP appears to be new to lamping so I though he should be aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    Yes I have ground game as a condition but the legalaties of shooting hares at night are very different. The OP appears to be new to lamping so I though he should be aware of that.
    New to lamping in this country!

Useful to be reminded of the hare distinction - thank you.