Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Am I Shooting High ?

Why Am I Shooting High ?

For some time now I have been having a problem with shot placement when shooting deer. My shots albeit humane and killing are persistently two to three inches higher than a proper heart shot. For example yesterday morning four Muntjac were killed instantly but with broken spines whilst one was missed over the top. Whilst a Roe was shot properly as I was obliged to shoot on my knees more or less free hand at about 40 yds.
    I zero at 100yds using bags but ensure that I place my hand under the stock. I have a good cheek weld by using a neoprene comb-raiser and the trigger pull is just over the 2lb mark on a Sako 75 in 243 with a T4 mod and Swaro' scope.
    In the field I shoot usually shoot off of long sticks. I have tried everything I can think of to ensure that the contact with the sticks is not the only cause but it makes no difference. I can only get a perfect heart shot if I aim at the sternum . Its not the equipment, its me.
    There is clearly something wrong with my method, hold etc ????, but I haven't got a clue what it is.
    I know some of you are properly trained rifle shots so am hoping that you will be able to make some (helpful) suggestions for resolution.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Are you zeroing your rifle with warm barrel, As most shots you will take are with cold barrel make sure you take your time between shots when zeroing and leave your bolt back to help air flow through barrel. Take no more than 3 shots with a pause in between each shot then leave gun to cool down. Worked for me
    I wouldn't keep going after deer until you know exactly where your rounds are going.
    Last edited by .243Ady; 22-04-2012 at 12:38.

I`m going to have a guess at this one.
    Are the crosshairs central when aiming at the deer?
    In other words could you be looking through the scope a little scew wiff??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

take that comb-raiser off.. that's putting your head too high and creating the undesired angle IMHO.

Zero off a bench or prone so you know that no errors are down to your kit. Then practice, practice & practice shooting targets from all shooting positions - sitting, kneeling, standing freehand & off sticks & fence posts.
    A few things to check.
    Ensure the stock is properly pulled into your shoulder, don't grip the fore end too much, don't push down too much on the sticks, and after the shot stay looking through the scope - don't look up too soon.
    Then practice some more!!!!

Going out bunny shooting with a .22rf helps too.

Ian

Specsavers

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The problem is likely your change of positions. You need to zero the rifle standing it seems so sort out a way of doing this and see if it helps.

People do not realise just how much difference a simple change of positions can make.

Moew practice is the key as already stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Zero off a bench or prone so you know that no errors are down to your kit. Then practice, practice & practice shooting targets from all shooting positions - sitting, kneeling, standing freehand & off sticks & fence posts.
    A few things to check.
    Ensure the stock is properly pulled into your shoulder, don't grip the fore end too much, don't push down too much on the sticks, and after the shot stay looking through the scope - don't look up too soon.
    Then practice some more!!!!

Going out bunny shooting with a .22rf helps too.

Ian
    like the dont look up too soon ,very hard to resist when shooting live targets but an absolute must do. the follow through is very important !! something i try hard to do when in the field

Zero your rifle how you shoot in the field, off sticks, off your knee, leaning against/on a post whatever. Just introduce the variables in your actual shooting into your zeroing.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

but surely as long as you know your rifle is set zero on the range practice will eventually settle down your shots ,i like to know my rifle is range perfect then the rest is up to me ,dont know how folks do this just the way i was taught !