Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adders

Adders

Out today having a look round and saw the first two Adders within 100 yds of each other,
    both very lively so will have to keep a sharp eye out, as the dog is always showing interest.
    Also heard the first Turtle Dove purring in the open wood.

Whereabouts are you to see the adders?

I see quite a few when fishing in July up north along the banks of the River Brora.

Down in East Sussex, this ground is near Battle, my ground near Ashdown Forest is riddled with them,
    although I have never seen any in another area about 1 mile from the forest.

We often see young ones lying out on the warm stones late in the afternoon at the side of the river. My dogs are often out with me as well and like you it is always a concern they get too close!

Anybody ever been bitten by an adder, I heard of dogs being bitten, some surviving some not, but just wondering how venomous they actually are, as said I've only heard hoping some folks on here with first hand experience.

Moose

I have never seen a adder yet. we get some big grass snakes around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Down in East Sussex, this ground is near Battle, my ground near Ashdown Forest is riddled with them,
    Although I have never seen any in another area about 1 mile from the forest.
    Brought up in West Sussex. As lads we use to play with them by flicking them with a stick towards each other. Daft I know but we thought it fun and never had a bite. The idea was to flick them as high as you could, never really new where they would land.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Anybody ever been bitten by an adder, I heard of dogs being bitten, some surviving some not, but just wondering how venomous they actually are, as said I've only heard hoping some folks on here with first hand experience.

Moose
    yeah got bitten without realising it working on the railway de veging hot summer day picked up a heap of brash to chuck in the ditch below and felt a sharp sting above my watch strap put it down to brambles or thorn hadnt any gloves on as i was in charge of the party and coming behind picking up the odd pile of brash when i got home and showered i noticed two puncture wounds above my watch strap and wondered how two thorn or brambles could make two marks so symetricle any way by next morning wasnt feel good and arm was swollenbadly so i swapped duties with my mate and went lookout warning the gang of approaching trains but by end of the day had to go to hospital where they identified it as snake bite and after speaking to the poison unit in plymouth gave me a jab and pills it went down after a week but for weeks after i felt as if my wrist and knuckles were filled with grit or sand and numb i never even saw the snake that bit me the boys had a laugh bout it as they reckon the snake died

I saw one at start, All programs, Accessories, Calculator!

Dave

Only ever seen one and that was a young one maybe 8 inches long on th hill in Scotland and didn't get bitten by it so can't really help with that.

George