Thread: Zeiss Reticle 60

Zeiss Reticle 60

On a Zeiss Reticle 60, does anyone know the distance between the ends of the thick horizontal lines, or indeed between the end of vertical thick line and the cross ? The reason for asking is to use the reticle as an approximate range finder in the way that, for example, a mildot reticle can be used.

All help gratefully received.

Regards
    Richard
    Last edited by RichardAllen; 22-04-2012 at 15:46.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardAllen View Post
    On a Zeiss Reticle 60, does anyone know the distance between the ends of the thick horizontal lines, or indeed between the end of vertical thick line and the cross ? The reason for asking is to use the reticle as an approximate range finder in the way that, for example, a mildot reticle can be used.

Regards
    Richard
    Richard

I believe the 60 reticle is the illuminated dot and the 66 is the illuminated cross.

Either way, check this out - page 3: http://zeiss-scope.co.uk/attachment.php?id_attachment=3

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Regards
    Richard
    The answer to this is easy
    You will need to set yourself a target at 100 metres
    Then with your rifle and bullet combo
    Zero it to smack on at 100
    Then shoot at the same target using the point of the reticle you wish and see where the bullet strike is
    Type the info in a ballistic chart with all yor info and see what the result is
    Then set a target up at that distance and see if you can hit it
    Ifso
    Job done
    From there you will know how much hold over you will need for future distances

Spot on, thanks very much.

Regards
    Richard

hello
    I have a 60 and i try to not over complicate things , as you could end up running out of time and the animal runs off while you are working things out.
    The distance between the fat lines is about 4ft 6 at 100yds or 140cm at 100m which is about the length of a fallow doe body , the rest is easy to get a rough distance.

Regards
    Richard
    Which scope do you have?

If the reticle is in the 2nd image plane then the subtensions will change.

An example would be the Duralyt (2 IP) at 6x the post opening is 140cm @ 100m. At 12x the post opening is 70cm @ 100m

If you have time the calculation is: D x 6 / M (or 140 x 6 / magnification) 140 x 6 = 840 / magnification (12x) = 70cm.

If the reticle is in the 1st image plane then it is 140cm @ 100m across the entire magnification range.

If you want to work out the dot subtension at 100m (2 IP) then depending on the model it is 22cm / magnification or in the Duralyt 9cm / magnification or the new HT it is 6.9 / magnification.

Mak,

I have the Duralyt, so the distance subtended changes with magnification. I think Hamish's values work for 6x, double for 3x and halve for 12 x.

Thanks
    Richard