Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open condition

open condition

My firearms certificate is up for its first renewal soon and I would like It to be 'open' or 'less restrictive' is this something I have to ask for or is it given automatically?
    If I need to ask for it to be 'open' can anyone give me advise on the wording of the letter.

Thanks

Have a quick chat with your FEO, that's what he's there for

If your renewal is for exactly the same ticket as the original then you should get open this time without asking. If you have had variations recently for something bigger than the original then maybe not? As Archer says, your FEO should be able to advise.

Baguio is correct, without a doubt. The less restrictive condition should be applied automatically upon renewal, unless there have been any adverse issues.
    If you apply for a more powerful calibre eg centrefire in addition to rimfire, then the less restrictive condition should be applied to the calibre already possessed with the more restrictive condition to the larger or more powerful calibre. Each case judged on the merits of course.

Can depend on the amount of use you have made of your ticket in these frst five years.Measured by the amount of ammo you have used and also how much land you have to shoot, to demonstrate varied experience.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheruk View Post
    Can depend on the amount of use you have made of your ticket in these frst five years.Measured by the amount of ammo you have used and also how much land you have to shoot, to demonstrate varied experience.
    Sorry, but 'ammo you have used' or 'land you have to shoot' have no bearing on 'demonstrating' any kind of experience.

You can shoot thousands of rounds into a single 1m square earth backstop on a 20,000 hectare estate and it will prove what?

Many thanks for all your reply's will give FEO a call today

ATB Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Sorry, but 'ammo you have used' or 'land you have to shoot' have no bearing on 'demonstrating' any kind of experience.

You can shoot thousands of rounds into a single 1m square earth backstop on a 20,000 hectare estate and it will prove what?
    But the fact is some FAD's do take the amount of ammunition you have on your licence into account. mine certainly did.

So whilst buying lots of ammunition is no proof of experience, I'd suggest that it will give a better impression that buying very little !

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Have a quick chat with your FEO, that's what he's there for
    Is he now?

Firearms... Enquiry... Officer...

Oh!.... Yes!.... I see... you think that means his job is to answer "enquiries" put to him by license holders and prospective license holders.... and here's me thinking that his actual job was to make the enquiries required, in observation of a licensing authority's legal obligations, in order to satisfy themselves that applicants are "fit and proper" people with "good reason" to possess firearms, prior said Firearms Licensing Office issuing the certificates, which they are obliged to issue if the applicant is a "fit and proper" person with "good reason" to possess.

Darn it!... silly me.

If it was me... and I know this is just a crazeee notion... but... if it was me, I would ask for what I wanted, providing good reason, and filling it all out on the form (F.101) and then just let them get on with doing the job I thought they got paid to do. I've actually always found this approach to work well. Mibbee I've just been lucky, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    But the fact is some FAD's do take the amount of ammunition you have on your licence into account. mine certainly did.

So whilst buying lots of ammunition is no proof of experience, I'd suggest that it will give a better impression that buying very little !
    As I understood it there is no legal obligation to have ammo written on your ticket, I notice that some gunshops do and some don't.

Anyone else noticed this? Is that correct?

ATB
    Moses
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"