rifle for reds and sika

just wee bit too high that X PKL just a couple of inches lower. That x could be classed as saddled when lardered. Will get a pic up with my x in a minute

Last edited:
I tried those 123gn sakos in a troublesome .308 they were the only round it would group. heard a lot about those megas too.
Infact i was going to try some of the 185s when i buy the magnum. df

Once i went above 150 but grouping wasn't that good in 308, I was using a ssg69 p2 with a Callum Ferguson Barrel so it was a pretty good set up. The Lapua are great but price was the factor as ammo was being supplied to 3 of us. Bulk buy sako was far cheaper.

Last edited:
My experience is in no way as big as some on this forum. I shot a few deer here and in England. I've always aimed in the line of the front leg on the middle of the beast. In case of an angle either on the point of the shoulder or trying to break the opposite shoulder. I've had very few runners with these shots.
My first love is the 300 Win Mag, but recoil is serious. If you want him comfortable you need him heavy or a stalker to carry the rifle , sorry guys. I plan to buy a 308 , just to play around with it. Just became member of a shooting club with long range facilities and for stalking. The 308 for diffrent reasons. I don't handload and think these ammo is available at reasonable prices. Recoil will not be to severe and so it will be a joy to shoot. I plan to build something lightweight. Probably 20" barreled Howa in one of Edi's stocks. This will be a rifle out of sentiment, just because I like it and to have some fun with. I already have a 7x64.
Purely for use on the hill, I still think that a good 130 grain ( Nosler Partition) out of a 270 is hard to beat. More forgiving if you misjudge the range.

on another note, I've seen (and used) my Father's 6.5x55 with factory 156g Norma Vulkan's put down some serious testostarone fuelled stags during the rut with quite some authority. great for roe and sika too, nothing wrong with it for fox. a very good 'all around' contender in fact.

I have been up the hill once or twice and the 308 or 270 are the ronseal of calibres in my view. does exaclty what it says on the tin.

might not be as fancy sounding as some of the others but try getting ammo for some of the calibres in your average gun shop. moderate tham and recoil is no issue any more.

I have and used 2
70 130gn
308 150gn and 125gn
243 100gn
22-250 55gn (roe)
223 55gn (roe)

and the 308 comes out the cabinet most times .

Last edited:
I'll try and do a better one today as that boy isn't broad side. The Green x would be ''roughly'' be on the heart. Purple box is the engine house. Blue Line would be Maximum height for carcass damage and welfare. i would personally be aiming in that purple box in ideal conditions.

REMEMBER THAT IS JUST A ROUGH PIC GUYS .

Last edited:
thanks for all the replys.

There seems to be a varied opinion so i think that i'll have to try test firing some of the different calibers to see which i prefer.

cheers

ally

Back