Thread: Butchery advice- offal

Butchery advice- offal

Can anyone offer advice regarding the butchery and preparation of venison sweetbreads.

The vast majority of deer I cull are Muntjac so any specific advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Tabs

Are you talking throatbreads or fries (balls)...... ive never heard of anybody eating venison sweetbreads and as sweetbreads are normally taken from young animals ie lambs and calves,because they are a growth gland they get smaller with age, so im sure they would be past ther best by the time we get our hands on them.....

If your muntjac are so small you have to eat their balls as well I will give you a carcass.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

The 'sweetbreads' are not the testicles the real sweetbreads are the pancreas,and the poor man's sweetbreads are the thymus sucking gland,let me know how you get on with them though....Mmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    If your muntjac are so small you have to eat their balls as well I will give you a carcass.
    lmao....
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    lmao....
    Well thank you for that , drop me your address pheasant sniper 1 and you can have its nuts if there that fantastic.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Last time we were in Argyll I took a nice Roe, took the live back to the hotel (the carcuss went to the estate!) the chef fried it for our breakfast, delicious, well worth trying!

ive never used venison sweetbreads but the best way to cook lamb/veal sweetbreads is to place in cold water bring to the boil for a minute then drain and cool a little wile still warm peel off the outer membrane and any fat the sweetbread should seperate into nuggets dust them in flour then fry in butter until golden and crispy,, yummy

Regular Poster
    I Love Roe liver! I think i shall try the sweetbreads!

Thanks for prompting that one!.

ATB Barry