Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving Munties

moving Munties

we have a great wood next door to us, approx 50acres, once every two months we may spot the odd Fallow. The wood is ancient, consisting, oak, hornbeam, ash, with a good ground cover, ideal Muntjac ground, but being in East sussex we dont have any munties.
    All we need is three or four breeding pairs and away they go, I dont suppose anyone has access to live stock ? it woudl be great to introduce this species to our area....

Quote Originally Posted by SauerJohn View Post
    we have a great wood next door to us, approx 50acres, once every two months we may spot the odd Fallow. The wood is ancient, consisting, oak, hornbeam, ash, with a good ground cover, ideal Muntjac ground, but being in East sussex we dont have any munties.
    All we need is three or four breeding pairs and away they go, I dont suppose anyone has access to live stock ? it woudl be great to introduce this species to our area....
    I know this must happen but I'm not sure if it's legal. I thought you could only move native stuff about. I might be wrong. Someone will put me right if I am.

Cheers. Matt.

Illegal, simple as that. I get asked all the time. That said just hang on and they will be there.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

you need a license but having said that and the amount of Ifor Williams migration going on I don't know why Natural England still bother...

Pretty sure you'll find that is completely NOT LEGAL, and shameful that someone would want to bugger up a 'great, ancient wood'...... come to norfolk and see the damage they do to woods, then perhaps you might think again.
    Count yourself lucky you haven't got them, but then again, it will no doubt only be a matter of time at the rate they seem to be spreading.

Illegal if you do as suggested but...

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    it will no doubt only be a matter of time
    before they are there of their own accord...

Illegal. Severe damage caused, not only to flora but some birdlife (nightingales for example) also little or no regeneration of the woodland. A wonderfully adaptable and resilient species that are arguably too successful for their own good. Challenging stalking, enigmatic to call, almost impossible to drive/move as they hide like a hare, always on the move and hardly ever stop once disturbed, but good sport and they eat well too. If you have got them then you must keep on top of the population without respite. Love/hate relationship. Some treat them as vermin, which is a matter for regret. They deserve our respect and humane treatment. I find myself being asked to control them in locations where a rifle would not be safe and a shotgun (subject to strict limitations) would not be acceptable to public perception (loud report residential area). Not an easy one that, as they will colonise and survive almost anywhere.

I know, but I am nearly 50 now, 10 years? 20 years?

It's illegal to move them, however all our continental clients come over for MUNTJAC stalking, they're a great little deer to stalk for, and challenging at times, if you have woodland grants, then the only good MUNTJAC is a dead one. Luckily I have two areas where I manage them, on one I have a lot of personal stalking, on the other I watch continental rifles do the stalking and get paid. I'm a lucky fellow to do both. deerwarden.

Good points rasied, it should not happen, considering the effects of the introduction of the Grey Squirel, and Zander, we men should leave nature to its own devices I guess.