Thread: Free stalk courtesy of 223

Free stalk courtesy of 223

Well after a few weeks of emails and phone calls the morning arrived for me to take one of my free stalks gained from the novice stalk offer from 223. My alarm woke me at 0315 ready from a drive to meet up at 0440
    I’d arranged to meet up with Pete at Reservoir car park close to his permission, I arrived about 30 seconds before he did, so no opportunity for a quick coffee. I sorted my stuff out and jumped in with Pete, during the short drive Pete informed me that we’d be sitting in highseat to start with, maybe followed with some foot stalking. Less than 5 minutes from the RV, we had arrived at the farm, as we sorted the gear Pete told me how the land was set up and where the safe areas were. We walked quickly to the highseat because we were a little short of time; we followed a hedge then turned left as it ended the seat overlooked a long strip of woodland and some very think hedges. After about an hour a Muntjac doe showed herself at the far end of the wood, about 260m away, Pete told me to keep watching her and pointed out where I was okay to take a shot if she reached there.
    About 10 minutes later Pete nudged me, asking if “if I saw that?” I said “no.” A Muntjac buck had popped through the hedge facing us, about 100m away, then popped straight back again. Pete told me to bring the rifle up ready for a shot, he came back out in the field and continued to move towards us. Never quite presenting a shot, every time he stopped he was quartered towards us. The he momentarily stopped and looked towards the hedge, I squeezed the trigger and sent 100gr of soft tip to him, his back legs kicked up in the air and he disappeared into the hedge. I reloaded and waited, watching for his exits at either end of the hedge or over the back, Pete assured me that it was a good shot and that his reaction typified a heart shot, although he did tell me it sounded a back.
    As we waited and had not seen him exit, Pete decided to try and call in the doe we had seen earlier, as we did this, he noticed a fox in the same field that I shot the buck about 200m away. He was crouched eating something and stayed there for about five minutes, Pete asked if I wanted to try for him as the doe had not showed herself again. I said that I would, Pete told me to put the rifle across him and steady myself, he called him and he initially moved off left, then headed straight towards us like a steam train. Because of the angle I was shooting to my right across Pete and slightly behind, (not the most comfortable position), he stopped about 100m out, so I dropped him on the spot and had my 1st fox down.
    We set off to recover the buck, Pete told me to crawl through the hedge and check the other side, no sooner was I through, he called me back.* He was lay about 20m into the field, we tracked the blood trail back just to see were he’d come through the hedge. We took him back to the highseat to Gralloch him, the exit would did prove that I’d hit him a little too far back. Fortunately the gralloch showed that I had only nicked the grass bag and it wasn’t too messy inside.
    We went back to the vehicle and set off for a patch that is very good for Roe, so I went with some hope and in trepidation that another buck may be on the cards. Unfortunately we blacked on that area but what a fantastic morning I had, a buck, my first fox and meeting a really nice guy who was willing to afford me the time to share some of his ground and more importantly his knowledge. Pete has suggested that I take the 2nd part of my prize in in the autumn, tagged onto a lamping session.
    Pete, many thanks for the experience of shooting with you and sharing your knowledge, Dave (223) I can’t thank you enough for starting your offer back in January and selecting me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	806.8 KB 
ID:	14843
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 23-04-2012 at 11:41. Reason: photo added

Nice one mate.
    A great read and what an end result.

Top blokes all round

Jonathon

Nice one chaps, where are the photos????

Wayne

nice one chaps, and thankyou pete for your time

ATB

Dave

no worries. both shots were v good. its funny i dont tend to get buck fever much but my heart was really pumping on the deer, buck fever by proxy. well done come out for a stalk during the rut if you like.

[QUOTE=pete evans;364256]no worries. both shots were v good. its funny i dont tend to get buck fever much but my heart was really pumping on the deer, buck fever by proxy. well done come out for a stalk during the rut if you like.[/QUOTE

Awesome, would love to, I'll bring you another box of goodies..!

Thanks again for taking me out.

Well done chaps, looks like a friendship building there , thats wot i set out to do

ATB

Dave

well done. Bet it's felt like a long wait since january. Looks like it was worth it though hope its the start of many more enjoyable outings.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    well done. Bet it's felt like a long wait since january. Looks like it was worth it though hope its the start of many more enjoyable outings.
    Yeah certainly did feel like a long wait but had a great morning and picked up loads of good tips, now have to keep my fingers crossed for the rut.

nice read... sounds like a great morning. Im waiting to get my first fox. Nearly had one a few weeks ago, but two Roe appeared 20 foot to my side as i was watching the fox in my scope. Lucky fox that I was distracted and didnt get a shot on him. Lucky Roe buck that he was not on the menu that day.