Wanted: Help Re:Stalking Holiday

Glendine

Hi All,

I would be very grateful for an assistance you may have. I am hoping to go Roe & Red deer stalking in Late July or August. I’m concentrating on South west Scotland. Could you recommend anywhere I would be proposing a three day trip. Is there any packages which would included three days stalking and accommodation.

Regards,
Glendine.

I was going to suggest Rum Deer Stalking as this site has always interested me. However, I see they are not taking bookings at present. Anyone know why?

You may have a problem finding Red deer stalking in July August most places don't let that early due to most stags not being clean until September.

Glendine.
Just look back on Solwaystalkers posts. Many happy chappies says it all. I can personnally vouch for Colin as not long returned with two mates from a great weekend (4 roe grassed) :D. Acres of lovely ground, plenty of deer and your host is good craic too. What more can I say.
Gaz

Hi bob the RDMA has no stalking this year due to the company stoped trading .i was out in rhum 2010 for 2 weeks helping with the clients and 2011 for 3 weeks but no stalking this year snh is going 2. think new contract is going out end 2012 . what a nice place to stalk i have some picts to put on will try to get them on isle of rhum and horses.

Rhum you will notice I use the original and correct spelling not the more often seen Rum, thats because I am an old fart.

Not sure what the deer situation is there now, but I was there on the old professional stalkers course in the 1980's at that time Rhum was owned by the then Nature Conservancy Council.

While owned by Conservancy Council Rhum, was used for research projects, quite a lot of studies were done on Red deer, there was no sport stalking as such, believe things changed when the island was taken over by SNH

When I was there due to the nature of the studies being carried out Rhum carried a high population of Red deer

IMO to high as a lot of deer in an age bracket [old] that in my opinion should have been culled, however as many calf's as possible were tagged and monitored throughout their lives
, and I believe ageing and natural death as opposed to culling was one of the studies carried out.

I would not imagine that the island would carry the same numbers now as it did then.

One of the things that impressed me most was the Rhum ponies, it was a girl that was in charge of the ponies
and if I remember correctly she took four to the hill, when a stag was loaded on a pony she turned it loose and it made its way home, it was an amazing sight to return from the hill to see all the ponies waiting in a line at the larder door to be unloaded.

IMO it was one of the best deer stalking courses there was, you had to be employed as a professional to get on it
a lot of the guys were young trainee stalkers but not all there was a few older guys also, sent on the course by our employers.

The course lasted a full week and subjects studied were the art of stalking and deer forest management,deer recognition and the principles of culling, pony work and emergency shoeing [would not be allowed now as only a registered farrier may shoe a horse] larder work, care of equipment, and deer census work.

There was no shooting test as it was presumed probably wrongly ,as we were all in the job we were all capable of that.

Apology's for high jacking the thread but when I saw Rhum mentioned I thought it might interest some of the younger stalkers who had never heard of the course, or maybe some of the older ones who were there.

Oh and if you were there I am not going to tell about the ceilidhs:old:

Highly recommend Ian on the Achadunan Estate

Easily the best hill Red Stag stalk i ever had.

Cheap Hotel that overlooks the loch, absolutely stunning walking

Top man, great company and bloody fit

Terry

Hi bogtrotter soz about the post think i posted wrong place. the girl was Porsha she worked with the RDMA then merlees i think that was before i was there in 2010 & 2012 .

Porshe was well after, I remember the girl you are talking about bT, I used to spend quite a few weeks a year over on rhum both stags and hind. I worked with RDC, we helped Louis macrae who was the NCC stalker on Rhum and he helped us with the mainland counting.

The stalking course was great! The last night ceilidh was always good! Although the replacement in Sutherland is good, it could never compete with the Rhum course.

The original spelling was without the h, but mrs Bulloch ( who built castle etc) put in the h to keep away from the alcoholic reference, the were strict puritans.
Not sure why SNH have dropped the h, madness, is there nothing sacred to them?

Glendine,

If the lads don't sort you out, give me a shout, I'll sort everything for you, but as you know most of my Ground is in the far north of Scotland.

Glen

Hi Glendine
Maybe to far north for you but i have 10000 acres to stalk over to the north of Glasgow
This area is challenging as it runs from sea level to nearly 3000 ft so have to be reasonably fit
Can arrange hotel accomodation close to area !
Regards Spotlight

Back