Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Mounting a Scope.

Help - Mounting a Scope.

Hi All,

I may or may not have stumbled on a mine field here. ?!

I recently bought a Zeiss Victory 6- 24 x 72 mm. as I have a Mannlicher 7mm 08 i was advised to get EAW mounts, apparently they are one of the few who can produce mounts to marry the two up perfectly.

Anyway had it all fitted by the gunsmith and went to the range. WOW after two shots i ran out of left hand windage. Which meant a return to the gunsmith. FIXED (they had not set it up 100%)

Back to the range and there was no consistency flyers everywhere. I was soooo frustrated I decided to take the scope off - its on the EAW pivot mounts which are supposed to hold the zero.

I noticed a glue like substance round the edge of the bases so I removed the based from the rifle and cleaned them all up of the flaky glue - should the glue have been there???

also reading various things on the net - it suggests you should remove the bluing from the base of the bases etc. Should I take the rings off the scope aswell ??

The question I have is - is there an expert out there than can talk me through what todo...

Help please.

Thanks
    Graeme

Hi Greame

The flaky glue will probabley be thread locking compound , normally loctite 243 as it is easy to 'break' the bond if needed at a later date. Not all together sure what your asking but I know when I have had problems like this I have stripped the whole thing back and started from the begining. I have never run out of windage and a scope before but I have run out of eleviaton, this was cured with tiny thin slivers which were made into shims to raise or lower the scope. As for removing bluing, do you mean off the top of the rifle or the scope ring? If the rifle I wouldnt bother,some folk even cut a cross into the top of the rifle where the scope mount will sit but if you want to sell the rifle at a later date some folk might not want that.

Pete

Hi Greame,
    From what you have said and for the price you must have paid for your mounts, I would suggest you go back to the 'Gunsmith' I call him gunsmith with tongue in cheek as, from what you say he didn't even use a collimator or laser sighter to get anywhwere near your target otherwise he would have known the problem you found before you got on the Range.
    You have a good quality 'scope so you should have enough windage and elevation to enable you to zero correctly with almost any sort of mounts.
    Go back to the gunsmith and let him sort it out before you run out of ammo ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Greame,
    From what you have said and for the price you must have paid for your mounts, I would suggest you go back to the 'Gunsmith' I call him gunsmith with tongue in cheek as, from what you say he didn't even use a collimator or laser sighter to get anywhwere near your target otherwise he would have known the problem you found before you got on the Range.
    You have a good quality 'scope so you should have enough windage and elevation to enable you to zero correctly with almost any sort of mounts.
    Go back to the gunsmith and let him sort it out before you run out of ammo ;-)
    +1 on that . Has it got a Mod on it? I had a problem like this with a mod that was not screw cut correctly.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

chickenman

To quote "Remove blueing from the plane contact surface of the pivot pin, and equally from the contact surfaces of bases and weapon"

EMcC

Thanks, there are great gunsmiths - i just think with this item they were a little out of their depth as i got the impression they hadn't seen a scope like it before. Anyway thanks for the feedback.

I fitted EAW swing offs to my Sauer and although they recommend removing the blueing i didn't bother as i didn't fancy messing up a nice rifle,yes this is to make the glue stick,its two part UHU and is applied under at least the front base and at the bottom half of the rings,i aint no gunsmith but managed to set mine up no probs,there should be an adjustment on the ring for windage.
    Neil.
    Last edited by Dawnraider; 23-04-2012 at 15:58.

Forgot to say check your release lever,when the scope is on the lever should have a slight gap of a mil or two under it and not come into contact with the base,quite important causes problems if it does.

Problem I see is an awful lot of gun"shops" claiming to be gun"smiths".

With the huge range mounts (in design and size) and the huge range of scopes diameter, action lengths, curvature, thread pitch, dovetails, quick release, etc etc it is not the "fit and forget" job that some gunshops are happy to charge for.

I bought a 243 with an incredibly sticky bolt.
    fortunately I like bargains and inclined to disassemble things into constituent parts. The seller sold the gun with a newly fitted scope done by a leading North East "gunsmith".

the issue was that rather than check to see if the bolts that came with the mounts were correct they assumed they were and whacked them on, screwing them straight through the receiver into the path of the bolt!!

the shocking thing is they didnt even check it before sending it back to him!

I personally wouldnt remove bluing.
    It is likely to be inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. If you run out of scope windage or elevation it is not down to the blueing.
    I wouldn't slaver the thing with threadlock or compound or glue or shims.

if it is well made and fits properly none of those things are necessary.

1) limit of windage is down to poor alignment. EAW bases have windage adjustment that the "smiths" may not have allowed for when fitting. Having just stripped a set down to individual parts and reblued them I am now a self proclaimed expert obviously [tongue in cheek]
    2) Flyers due to scope fitting implies movement

my concern would be you have BOTH!

I personally think whilst they are extremely well made and claim to hold zero that dependant on the condition of the mounts you can easily lose zero on EAW swing off mounts as the metal to metal contact gets worn.

They did not favour as well as other designs in the QR contest that the Shooting Times ran a few months back.
    I have seen well worn examples that would have easily lost 0.1-0.2mm off a mating surface over time. I also looked at a set in a gun"smiths" shop that had mishapen dovetail on the front mount but unless looked for would have been overlooked. No way it was going to offer a secure fitment.

do you have any pictures of said mounts and or the fitment?

Wow, thanks everyone.

As it happens one of my brothers clients was in Edinburgh and he is an expert in terms of rifles and scopes, and being Italian he is very familiar with these sort of set ups (apparently they use my combo for shooting wild boar under the moon light/ in snow as lamps are not permitted.)

He identified several problems the biggest being when he tapped near the eye piece of the scope the reticle/ Scope vibrated - on further inspection he worked out this was caused by 1) the mounts were un even (one side had a 1.5mm bigger gap than the other) and 2) they were on incredibly tight.

After all his adjustments it seems to me that it is 100% better.

I will let you all know how i get on next time i am out.

Thanks